Instance Scaling?

#0 - Feb. 16, 2007, 5:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm sure it's been asked and answered a million times by now, but I can't find anything in the search. I tried.

Do instances scale or have a set level range now? Can a group of lvl 70 or solo chars go back to the old world and just rampage the old world instances?

Thanks.
#5 - Feb. 16, 2007, 7:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

They do NOT have more hit points. The only part about it's scaling is how it reacts to your offense and defense. Your spells will be resisted and hits will be missed because the boss is treated 3 levels higher. It will still land crushing blows and crits as if it is three levels higher. However, the ACTUAL hits and spells done by the bosses do not scale with our HP (except in the cases of effects that do % damage rather than straight up), nor does the HP of the boss scale.

This is correct. They will appear about 3 levels higher but their abilities and hitpoints do not scale.
#25 - Feb. 16, 2007, 7:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

For all of you losing your damn minds, this means in HEROIC dungeons...as in Outland dungeons you set to Heroic mode.

Here is the extream dumb down version.

Heroic Ramparts will have a lvl 73 dragon, but the dragon does not hit you for more dmg nor does it have more health. It just will always hit you now, and will have a chance to resist you.

Heroic mode dungeons and dungeon scaling for the original content raids are slightly different. Heroic mode dungeons are tuned for level 70 characters and give commensurate rewards. The original raid dungeons only scale as far as how they react to each player in the raid. ie. For a 60 character they will be at least 63, for a 65 character they will appear at least 68 etc. They won't hit any harder or have more hit points but will adjust their resists etc accordingly.
#35 - Feb. 16, 2007, 8:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Neth, I think you need to change the way you explain this. It confuses people a ton.

The important point to understand is that "perma-skull" raid bosses do not have levels to being with.

A raid boss has no level. It is level "raid." That means it is a hardcoded encounter with hardcoded stats - it does X damage melee, Y damage with Z ability, has Q health, etc. These things remain the same regardless of the levels of the opponents it is facing.

So at level 60, Bloodlord Mandokir hits for about 1000 (mitigated by armor) and crushes for about 1500 (mitigated by armor). At level 70, he hits and crushes for the exact same. He does not "go green," stop crushing and start missing all the time. He will never hit for 1 damage like the mobs in Duskwood. He is, and always will be, the same fight.

That's how the scaling works. It's got nothing to do with "3 levels higher than players" - which is just a confusing way of saying "they'll always crush."

The CMs do fantastic work on these horrible forums, and I think you folks are amazing - but this is one point you haven't been getting across very well imo. :)

Thanks Carwin. I stuck to the three above since people were clinging to it but it's true that it will appear as a 'skull' still. It's not so much a level thing.

Also, to those asking. If you are a group of 62s with one 70, it will not affect everyone the same as it does the 70. Scaling is based on each individual person.
#52 - Feb. 16, 2007, 8:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

so the CM who said that they scaled to the highest level player in the instance was wrong. nice to know, thanks Neth!

That was actually me but I went back and double-checked the information and reposted about it in the same thread. You may have missed it. I had a much better answer on the prior thread explaining it before. Sorry for any confusion people might have had here.