Disable CC in the Arena System, Essential

#0 - Sept. 24, 2006, 2:33 a.m.
Blizzard Post
No, not slows, stuns, or medium cooldowns that are essential to survival (frost nova, gouge, psychic scream, for example). You know what I'm talking about, so don't be coy:

Polymorph
Sap
Fear (Warlock version)
Seduce
Freezing Trap
Mind Control

Abilities which are spammable and completely negates the use of any of your character abilities for over 10 seconds. Entangling Roots isn't one, because you still control your character, just not your movement. By Polymorphing your group's Priest or Paladin, you have no way to remove tis ability, by Rooting or Frost Nova'ing, they can still dispell them.

If these abilities are not disabled in the Arena, only teams with access to them will be viable in Arenes. Classes such as Warriors and Druids will be completely at the mercy of classes with these abilities.

I hope Blizzard has some common sense on this subject.
#25 - Sept. 24, 2006, 2:57 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The current plan is to reduce effectivness of crowd control spells in Arena combat. I'm not sure at the moment if this will also carry over to battlegrounds, but it is a possiblity.

What were looking into is having reduced duration of crowd control spells to prevent extended removal from combat. Outside of a PvP area such as arenas, spells will operate as normal, according to tooltip. Inside a PvP instance, a spell which may have had a 15 second duration will be reduced to a 10 or 5 second duration. The details of duration are not specific, I am merely using these numbers to illustrate the point and intent.

So, while we don't plan on disabling CC in Arenas, we do have intent to decrease its potential for extended incapacitation.