Item budgets

#0 - Feb. 7, 2007, 6:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I never paid much attention to this because spell crit was always a minimal part of healing and DPS for a priest. However, now that the tier 4 and 5 have spell crit, I'm wanting to know more about this.

A long time ago I read a 1% spell crit rate had around the same item budget as 12 spell damage. Now that I think about it I never really confirmed if this was true or not. Has anyone actually gone to the trouble of figuring this out, and is there a link documenting all the different item budgets for each stat?
#1 - Feb. 7, 2007, 6:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There is certainly some speculation and/or number-crunching that can be found on fansites. While the devs may have discussed some of this in detail, such as at BlizzCon, I don't believe we've ever published comprehensive, up-to-date rules for the itemization budget recently.

I'll inquire on this topic and see if the devs want to release concrete data or numbers on this. Maybe, maybe not. Can't really say.

Until then, I'm sure some posters will provide links to various resources.
#7 - Feb. 7, 2007, 7 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I'd suggest they don't. There's way too much mathcraft in this game already.

That may very well be a consideration. An item might not utilize the fully allotted numbers for design or philosophy reasons and then you end up with players feeling 'short-changed' because an item 'should' be more powerful than it is. If I then had to say, "well, it's a philosophy decision" it makes for a pickle, heh.
#13 - Feb. 7, 2007, 7:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Also, while were on this topic, does the stat calcuators on the character window include talent tree points spent to increase say spell dmg and spell crit and spell penitration just wondering because i've added a few items in and noted no changes on them, and talents i've noticed as well.

As far as I know, it depends on the case. Some talents may affect single spells, which might not show up. Other talents may affect spell-types, which have shown up. If you feel a particular item should be displayed, that might make for a good post on the Bug Report forum.
#57 - Feb. 7, 2007, 8:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
with players feeling 'short-changed'

Off-Topic posters can now take it to Off-Topic.
#61 - Feb. 7, 2007, 8:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Thank you kindly Tseric.

You're welcome.