Developers and Making Changes

#0 - March 8, 2007, 11:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I have only done a few MMOs but I have noticed a trend that when developers gather the feedback from the community, they almost never implement anything suggested exactly the way the community posts, even if it may the the easiest/best way to improve or fix something. They will most likely come up with some backhanded way to fix the problem that either is not very effective or can create other problems.

One example I think of is the buff to Power Word: Shield. This spell needed to be scaled for a long time. Instead of just scaling it as the community suggested, they decided to get cute and scale it according to +healing items. So instead all priests being able to to benefit, Holy priests will get the primary benefit.

Why is this? Do they think it's a sign of weakness to accept feedback from the community and implement it in the best fashion possible?
#1 - March 8, 2007, 11:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Nothing is ever as easy or simple as people may believe. There are often far more issues to take into consideration than what most people realize. Changes aren't done to be cute. They are done because they are felt to be needed.