Offensive Name? I Think Not!

#0 - March 17, 2007, 4:49 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Recently, my "real life" best friend, previously under the username Gaylordx, and I were slaughtering traitorous Defias prisoners in the Stormwind Stockades of the Shattered Hand server when my friend was suddenly requested by GM Okermiro to change his username, as it was "in violation of the harassment policy". In defense of my friend's username, I claimed that the real and true meaning of the word gay was "cheerful; happy or pleasant," as opposed the the more popular, yet somewhat untrue, alternative definition which states the word gay as meaning "homosexual". Unfortunately this argument was never received by GM Okermiro, as I apparently did not have a support ticket. Upon receiving this message and attempting to create a ticket, I found that World of Warcraft's in-game support tickets could not hold the 233 words that I am typing at this moment. As a result, I am now asking the good people of World of Warcraft's forum community to state their opinion on this subject. I believe that with the word gay correctly defined as "cheerful; happy or pleasant" my friend, Gaylordx, should not be labeled as a violator of World of Warcraft's harassment policy. Before my friend is forced to part from the username we all know and love, I call upon World of Warcraft's citizens to state their opinions about this dilemma and hopefully allow my comrade to safekeep his beloved username.
#198 - March 17, 2007, 11:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Anyways, the real point of this topic was to influence the GMs of WoW to allow my friend to keep his original name, Gaylordx, instead of having to change it.

If this is the intent of your post, you are using improper channels to have your friend's name retained. The customer service forum might respond to this issue, but I doubt it will be the answer you desire.