Rep WAAAAY too easy to get :(

#0 - Jan. 25, 2007, 2:41 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I don't know the why and when of when the rep changes went through (I took a pre-BC break), but it's pretty ridiculous that cross-racial rep is this easy to get now. It was one of the few things that actually took real work in the game that you didn't just naturally get to on your own. Now Exalted takes no real sacrifice or work or anything meaningful to accomplish.

Why was this done, and is there any chance it will be set back to the old way of dropping rep based on quest difficulty vs. player level? Or did the whiners just need something else handed to them on a silver platter? :(
#7 - Jan. 25, 2007, 2:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
What an odd complaint. Well it was changed so that a player leveling from 1-70 didn't really need to stop and work on a specific city reputation. With the expansion and the higher level cap there's really no reason to make those reputations a goal to work towards, the process would have been trivialized by the expansion itself anyway. If not by runecloth drops then by sheer monetary gain and level/power increase. Obviously that's not true for all of the reputations in Azeroth though.
#35 - Jan. 25, 2007, 3:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Then let me ask you this . . . if it's that trivial, why keep the city rep at all? Why not just put Elekk vendors in Elwynn for all it's worth now?

It's still a faction you can track, there's still some satisfaction of seeing that progression. It's not something we're literally throwing away and we don't intend to.

Q u o t e:
I have to disagree that it would be trivial in and of itself, because sure, you'll be swimming in gold and rep by 65-70, but it really was quite a rush being 50 and riding another race's mount.

Totally, it was a great thing to work towards and that thrill of finally reaching a goal, but that was while you were at the level cap. If the change wasn't made then players are either stopping around 60 to attempt to get the mount while it's still worth something regarding time investment, or just being smart and waiting until 70 when the investment put into getting it is really pretty minor if not non-existant. As the level cap increases and players get more powerful, things that were difficult in the past are not going to be as difficult in the future, that's just how progression works. You still achieved that goal back then though, it was still a great moment, and a thrill and there are sure to be many more in your future. There's no reason to look back on those fond memories with regret or disdain that they're now not as important, they were and always will be your achievements. Remember them for what they were, not as a comparison for what they are in relation to the game as it progresses, you're only looking for disappointment then.

Q u o t e:
If it won't be changed back, I hope you guys consider putting in another time-grind or incremental major goal for folks to work on.

There are plenty of new goals to work towards, and there will be many more in the future.