Ratchet Flight Path (Alliance)

#0 - Feb. 20, 2007, 5:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I was flying from moonglade to ratchet and noticed that it takes you over ratchet and then to theramore before coming back to ratchet, has this been reported as a waste of time? it really adds about 2 minutes to the flight time and is really annoying : |
#11 - Feb. 20, 2007, 7:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We're currently taking another look at how flight paths link together in Azeroth. If you have a particular start and end point that you feel is too long or grabs midpoints that are too out of the way, now's an excellent time to tell us. Do us a favor, however, and list the midpoints as well as the beginning and destination. That way, we can take a good look at the flight in question.

EDIT: Oh, also -- specify if it's a Horde or Alliance flightpath, as well. Your avatar may not always be indicative of the flightpath you're talking about, after all.

While I may not post again in this thread, we'll be reading. ;)
#57 - Feb. 20, 2007, 7:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I don't know guys, I've always thought the flight feature was kind of flawed from the beginning. I played Ultima Online for 8 years, where all you needed was the Recall spell and a rune to get anywhere in the world you wanted to go. I realize the intent is to show how huge Azeroth is and how cool the scenery is but after a year of this, I've seen it enough to get the point. I always thought the waypoint system in Diablo II was fantastic for getting to an area you've already been to. I know this will never happen but that's just my two cents.

Actually, that isn't the intent of flightpaths. I understand that other games utilized instant travel in a more widespread manner than we do in WoW, but that is an intentional design decision. Flightpaths are a universal convenience that allow you to get where you're going in a relatively safe and quick fashion without being instantaneous. There are other ways -- such as mage portals, warlock summons, and meeting stones -- that allow more instantaneous travel, but those aren't common for the average player. This system prevents the world "shrinking" for the player, among other things. I understand that other games did it differently, but I don't believe we're getting rid of flightpaths anytime soon.

Thank you for all the feedback thus far... keep 'em coming. :)