Would Love To See More +School Gear

#0 - Feb. 8, 2007, 5:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I know most players tend to shoot for generic spell damage bonuses, but many of us like to max out one particular school. With school specific itemization we can eek out more damage than we could otherwise, however we give up versatility of using a secondary spell school.

I would love to be able to find more school specific gear. However, I also know that there are a limited number of drops available. Blizzard simply can't feasibly make +dmg gear for every slot..there's too many spell schools and too many slots.

That being said, I would love to see some sort of drop system where a generic piece drops and you can turn it in to an NPC for the school of your choice.

"Gloves of Focused Power" could have a small amount of stamina and intellect. However they would have no damage mod until you took them to an NPC, or completed a quest or something. Then after you're done they could potentially be "Frost-Woven Gloves of Focused Power" or "Holy Infused Gloves of Focused Power" or "Shadow Touched Gloves of Focused Power" etc.

It's just nice to be able to make those kind of trade-offs and get unique gear :D
#3 - Feb. 8, 2007, 5:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm sorry. I first read this and was thinking, "you want a back to school sale in WoW?!" or that you wanted to dress like a...nevermind.

Anyways, on to the point. You had rightly mentioned that making specific spell-type equipment limits its versatility or usage by more than one class.

We'd like to think we've made an approach at this specific itemization with socketing. Even for individual classes, say for mages, pure frost damage gear can be inhibiting, as respecing to fire dramatically changes the stats you are playing off of.

I'm not sure if there are specific spell-type gems in game, but looking into this aspect in general might be something along the lines of what you're looking for.
#14 - Feb. 8, 2007, 5:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

If you're so worried about how inhibiting that type of itemization is then why base tailoring specializations around it?

Not really worried about it. The difference is drops and crafting. If a drop is frost gear, there is a great chance of the group not wanting or using it. Crafting frost or shadow gear is a players choice and therefore carries no consequence like the drop does.

There is less control in a dungeon environment, so you don't populate it with specifics. You leave the specifics to be chosen by the individual, at their convenience.
#26 - Feb. 8, 2007, 6:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

You do realize that everyone knows Blizzard has had the technology to allow only specific things to drop based on the group thats running like no Class:Shaman gear if it was an alliance.

Cant see any reason why it would not be possible to apply a similar idea to gear heavily tailored to a specific class.

That only occurred between factions. I assume you're referring to when MC was dropping shaman loot for alliance, prior to release of expansion? It's still loot tables, not a 'smart-system'.