Will items sockets remain static?

#0 - Sept. 7, 2006, 4:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I was simply wondering one little, and yet important, detail about the whole jewelcrafting and socketing system planned to be established for the Burning Crusade.
My question is as follows; will items that comes along with sockets have a static number of sockets (and types of sockets) that should not change from one drop to another?

If a [Razpunzel Hat] drops for instance, and that it has one red socket and two blue sockets, will it always have the same number of sockets and the same colors as well?
Because elsewise, I would find it to be extremely frustrating to have something like a [Hyper Staff of Death] drop with one green socket and then spend DKP to earn it only to see another [Hyper Staff of Death] drop a few runs later with this time five sockets, thus obligating me to roll once more for an item I already do have.
#3 - Sept. 7, 2006, 4:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The number of sockets will remain consistent. The additional stats or bonuses on them will depend on the item and the gems you choose to put in them. So if it's a +STA item, you might want to find the right combination of gems to get that bonus. If it's a +INT item you might want to find the right combination of gems for that. Nothing is going to force you to put in gems a certain way however there will be inherent bonuses for going with certain combinations.

I hope that helps answer a bit better for you.
#16 - Sept. 7, 2006, 4:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Socketed items will come from quest rewards, drops and crafting. Retrofitting all the current gear would be a monumental task but there will be plenty of opportunity for people to get socketed items.

*Edit- Just to confirm what others said, gems can be replaced but doing so will break the gem that is being replaced so you will need to be very strategic in your choices.