Enchanting... u know it bugs you too

#0 - June 4, 2007, 9:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
When you get to disenchant a blue for a shard then the group rolls on it as if you didn't deserve it... it's accepted practice. I know it a bit of a rub for me and i'm sure that it ticks off other enchanters as well. I mean how many herbalists have the group roll for the mats they aquire in an instance? how many leather workers tell the group to roll on the leather that they skin off of the groups kills? How many miners are asked to give up a recently mined query, No i'm not talking about sharing a ore spot or a herb in an instance i'm talking about rolling for the mats.

Just seems a little unfair that enchanters are expected to give up there mats while others are not.
#96 - June 4, 2007, 11:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So, that brings us right back to square one. Why not just DE and roll on the shard?

Because it takes effort to be patient and polite. It takes effort to take those few extra seconds to help someone besides yourself.

"Why should I have to click a button to help someone else get some extra money?"

I don't know... I would say because this is an MMO and it's not just all about you.

I believe there's a different approach taken by some that this is a single player game, and that by helping others you're detracting from your own achievement, and your own ability to be the best, first. The harsh reality is though that the animosity there, the struggle against other players was lost a long time ago to those who know how to be generous, work together, and achieve a common goal.

And, well... "Some of them act badly because they've had a hard life, or have been mistreated, but" ... "some of them are just jerks."
#154 - June 5, 2007, 1:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I'll break it down. This is of course just my personal outlook, as a player, and an enchanter.

Let's say you're an enchanter but you don't want to DE items for whatever reason. A BoP drops that no one wants/can use and you all roll for it. You have a 1/5 chance to win.

Now let's say you're an enchanter and you don't mind DE'ing any items. A BoP drops that no one wants/can use and you take it, DE it, and then everyone rolls for it. You have a 1/5 chance to win.

One simply gives the winner, in most cases, something they can sell for a bit more if they so choose.

You aren't losing anything, you have the same chance to win the item as before and all it does is give the winner a little more money. You weren't entitled to it before, and you weren't after, you're just transmuting that item into something of better value.

If that action or the time spent in obtaining the level of enchanting you have makes you feel like you deserve the disenchant, and that if someone else wants it disenchanted they should have taken the profession, then yes, my personal feelings are that you're being selfish. Or maybe just lazy.

You using those materials for your profession has no basis on your rights to the item they come from. It's not a gathering profession, and drawing a parallel to them is flawed.
#173 - June 5, 2007, 1:35 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Eventually the server will become flooded with enchanting mats and they will become virtually worthless with this mindset. So yes you are losing something. Enchanters need to stop disenchanting for others without the tradeskill so we can still profit off of ours like they do theirs.

I figured someone would bring this up, and it's the perfect thing to fall back on because there's no way to prove it's right or wrong with any degree of certainty. i would argue with at least an educated idea that even if every item disenchanted in dungeon runs made their way to the auction house the impact would be minimal. If you want to say it's your reason for not DE'ing, then, y'know, whatever helps you sleep.

Q u o t e:
Also how can you say that Disenchanting is not a gathering profession? The rate I find greens from killing random mobs is at about the same rate that I find mining nodes. So instead of flying around mining I can use that time to kill mobs to gather enchanting mats! Hard concept isn't it?

Either you're bad at herbing or you have an awesome farming spot. Also, Arcane Dust isn't going to get you super far as a higher level enchanter. It's not a gathering profession in the sense that the term is used in World of Warcraft.