Still no ban / solution to twinks, huh?

#0 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I just returned after a while off, I don't know, 6 months, and saw all the patches and updates that have been done in the meantime. Yet, I finally level a character up enough to wander into Warsong Gulch for some PvP fun, and realize to my amazement, nothing has been done about twinks.

This really confuses me as a developer- (obviously not of WoW)- because twinking is, factually, cheating. Players are using means to bypass the intended rules and design of the game to obtain eqiupment, items or enchantments that any person following the spirit of the game can't possibly compete with.

In an equal situation of PvP, I'm a 3rd-5th place kind of player and have no problem with that. I just want to have fun. But explain to me what fun is derived from me being one hit killed by someone level 17 who has two enchantments that obviously cost many gold apiece (when a 17 should have to kill themselves to get one gold- the only way I've made multiple gold as a low level character is selling leather and copper on the market without doing a trade skill myself).

The players who are twinked, are deluding themselves with false skill- "I'm so good, I kill most people in one or two hits."- something that is only true due to their vastly superior items and enchants... The average player is left to depressingly wander through the PvP encounter doing their best, but never having any true chance at success.

There's no fun to be had when the playing field isn't even... all that's occurring is a vast waste of time for all involved. I recall now that twinking is one of the things that lead to my original hiatus... I'm just shocked that naught has been done to resolve this major flaw in the game.

Just wanted to add my two cents, regardless of what others think. And, since I'm sure I'll hear it... no, I won't just twink myself. I have never accepted a single copper from another player in any online game, and never will- everything I do is of my own accord, and therefore a true achievement when I succeed in the end rather than a shallow pit of lies accomplished on the efforts of others holding your hand.

(Last gripe: Combining all the servers was great for having more rounds going on, but you've ended up putting all the idiot-named people "Metallicaman" or "Twnker" into my gameplay- I specifically chose an RP server not to RP, but to avoid people who use such little common sense in naming characters out of ruining my immersion factor.)

Flame away, kiddies, just laying out the truth from my viewpoint.
#82 - Feb. 12, 2007, 1:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
If I were to get lucky and find two blue pieces, a couple really nice greens, and someone was nice enough to give me a couple enchants for free, should I then have to restrict myself from entering the battlegrounds as I know other players may not be on the same level gear-wise?

Obviously there's a moral difference between getting lucky and feeding achievements, but we then can't exactly police or put regulations strictly on a person's morals unless they're breaking the rules. It might border on shady, but minimizing gray areas is important in this regard and it isn't crossing any lines.

I also know there to be players that engage in these practices for specific encounters against other characters/groups/guilds that are attempting to achieve the same ends. They enjoy the limitations of the characters at lower levels, the quest to find the perfect items, and matching their skill against similar opponents. Now do they make up the majority? I could with almost certainty say no, they're probably mostly players who have found an outlet for them to remove most of the challenge from PvP and ensure their victory far more often. It's a mentality that I think many of them will find they will grow out of, or when dealing with the cause of this type of need to feel superior, will move on and begin to enjoy the limitations and challenges games provide.

In any case, the battleground matching system is currently still on target for release with the next major content patch. The system is intended to match players by gear and organization, and while it's not going to perfectly match all teams so that you'll never see a twink or premade again, it should work towards separating players fairly well.
#87 - Feb. 12, 2007, 1:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

And what about the new players, new to pvp and bgs, getting totally crushed by twinks...in turn, ruining their game play experience?

Too bad for them, eh?

More than likely someone new to the game may say "Hey I'm going to check out this battleground thing!" jump in, if they happen to end up against a twink they may notice some shiny guy they learn fairly quickly to try to avoid. Once the game is done they either think it was a lot of fun, realize they don't know what they're doing, wonder what they can do to beat the shiny guy, or maybe they didn't have any fun at all. Whatever their thoughts they would probably either try another game or go back to leveling. They probably aren't going to say "I can't believe that guy had 2 crusaders, a shadowfang, cruel barb, and all of those blues! Clearly he's been feeding that character from a level 70 he has!"

You're trying to create a case based on a player that really isn't going to know any better. Does it make it right? No, but they also shouldn't be the foundation of your argument.

It's all going to be mostly a moot point soon enough anyway.

Q u o t e:
While I do not have any issues with twinking or the people who do it, I disagree with one point you made regarding skill. Now I am not saying am a master at teh classes I play, but I do consider myself a fairly competent person; you mention skill, but killing someone in two hits is not skill, but superb gear. I do agree with you, however, that twinking is a brach of the game that people should be allowed to pursue and is a gameplay style that should be allopwed.

I was stating skill against similarly armed opponents. There are twinks out there that build their characters specifically because they enjoy the practice of creating a character with strict character and resource limitations, and the challenge of similarly geared opponents. As I said though they're likely the minority.