Why 5 to 7 PST?

#0 - June 22, 2007, 1:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm getting awfully tired of having my paid gaming time taken away due the Blizzard's mistakes especially when it seems the time chosen for shutting the servers down seems to be more for the convenience of Blizzrad employees than their customers. Are we actually to believe that less people play the game beteween the hours of 5 to 7 PST than 3 to 5 PST? Yes issues arise that need fixing but it's high time a more appropriate time frame was chosen to fix these issues.
#8 - June 22, 2007, 5:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We do our best to minimize the impact that downtime has and also try to give as much advance notice as possible. When we choose a time, it's generally when the least amount of people are playing. Unfortunately, no matter what time we choose, someone is going to be inconvenienced. We have to take into consideration what that most appropriate time is, how many people it will affect, and how much time it's going to take.

Things happen with patches (and more importantly data) and as much as we try to minimize these types of issues, they can and will occur. It doesn't mean that we aren't doing everything we can to make resolutions as speedy as possible though.

I don't want this to become another nationalistic thread so I'd appreciate if people would please refrain. We've seen enough displaced venom toward people this morning and it's completely inappropriate.
#12 - June 22, 2007, 6:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

They said when they announced it that they would do it whenever they could, but they had no guarantees that it would be regular thing.

This is pretty much it. We'll do it as often as we can but we can't guarantee that we'll always be able to do live maintenances with no downtime. Obviously we patched this week so that's an indicator that there was going to be some regular downtime. Big changes are going to result in that. Data maintenance can always be a signficant reason for downtime since we are essentually dealing with a lot of data on a daily basis. Keeping it all healthy is extremely important.

We're always going to choose to do what needs done for the most benefit of the health of the game and servers. Yes, we still want to minimize downtime as much as possible but there are priorities that need taken into consideration first.
#17 - June 22, 2007, 6:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I've got oceanfront property in Arizona.

Yuma?