Engineering Preview

#0 - March 21, 2007, 6:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Can we get one?

Proceeding with the review with no feedback or communication with the community is a recipe for dissapointment.

BC hunter talents were and still are a mess because our feedback was disregarded through their planning. (see "Hawkeye in Survival", which has ruined many talent builds)

I know myself and about a couple thousand other hunters (especially dwarven ones!) will be dropping engineering in a heartbeat if we don't get an epic BoP gun on par with the hot lovin' that blacksmiths got in the form of their 3-level weapons.

http://www.thottbot.com/i28436
http://www.thottbot.com/i28442
http://www.thottbot.com/i28430

Slow-swinging, hard-hitters, one and all.

And I can't help but fear that if we do get a new gun. It'll look like (http://www.thottbot.com/i23557) and have a speed like (http://www.thottbot.com/i22810). Anything faster than 3.30 won't be worth the innevitably obscene mats cost.

And on a more broad scale if we don't get tons more schematics, you can expect to lose many non-hunters as well. Leveling engineering is a bank-busting chore as there are few items to level the skill with and they all cost tons in mats. I'm stuck at 327 engineering while I save for a flying mount.

The only perk to engineering was the grenades which have been since nerfed useless as their mats requirements are obscene and cheaper explosives no longer work.

And no more fireworks or flares, they're so worthless (and mats so costly) it was borderline-insulting to implement them in the 1st place.

EDIT: blue replies on pages 2, 6, 7 and 18...all saying nothing of value
#24 - March 22, 2007, 8:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We're working on getting one together for everyone. We want to remind everyone that what you see will only be the start of things and there will be more added in over a period of time. Everything new isn't going to be added in just one patch.
#109 - March 23, 2007, 4:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
This sure did drop alot. Really, could we get a little more info today?? Maybe..???

It's not likely to be today. We have some information, but we are trying to get a bit more to share. We'd like to get out as much solid information as we can versus tossing out "possibilities" for people to invest in.
#112 - March 23, 2007, 4:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

No offense Nethaera, but when you will say something useful? All of your phrases seems to lack content... =/

I know you mean no offense, but honestly, what you see as lack of content, others may find useful. I don't like being silent if I don't have. If I can at least respond to let people know we're still here, then I am glad to. It is slightly offensive to be told you are saying nothing when you are saying what you can for the benefit of those that find value in it. We work within certain restraints for understandable reasons. That doesn't mean that we can't be visible still and active in the community.
#120 - March 23, 2007, 5:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

There is some things you can share, namely how the devs feel about the state engineering is in. Do they agree with the community that a main profession should at least have some utility, something that makes other players go "Boy, I wish I could do that?" Do they see that for the most part, Jewelcrafting has surpassed what engineering was supposed to have been in only one aspect of their profession in their useful trinkets? Do they not see it as kind of hypocritical to be worried about disabling a whole profession for pvp and yet enabling everything else all the other professions can do in? Do they at least see how much money has to be put in for so little gotten out of?

In all honesty Neth, if you could at least get a devs opinion on at least some of these, it would go a long way in letting people decide if they should continually waste a profession slot as we're doing right now. I mean, it's going to really really really hurt if they decide to put something in, and it's scryer and I'm exalted with aldor already, ya know? Playing catch up now isn't going to be an easy thing to do with as robust as all the other professions in the game currently are.

We are working on professions because we feel they need it. Someone asked the devs in an interview if they are happy with how things are. The answer is that if you get content with something, that means that it can't get any better. If something can't get any better, what's the point of continuing to work on it? WoW can always get better. That's never in question. Any artist or author will tell you that they can always do better and being content with something means that you've stopped feeling as if you can do better. That's never a place anyone wants to be in this industry.

Many people use the term "broken" when referring to things in game whether it's classes, professions or quests. There isn't any such thing really as broken in an MMORPG. All things can be changed, improved upon, polished up and made better. To say "broken" implies nothing works at all. Occassionaly there may be something not working as intended (WAI), but those are things that get pushed to the top if they are deemed game-breaking.
#346 - April 2, 2007, 11:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Nethaera or another CM, can leatherworking get in the "thing to review" hat soon? Pretty plz??? I won't make fun of Drysc in the Ony melted his face thread anymore... plz?

:)

It's in the hat already. Once we have approvals to share the upcoming changes we will. It's not today unfortunately.
#348 - April 2, 2007, 11:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

/frown

It's tempting to sit dwarves on their heads when they frown, but you all tend to kick when I try to turn you upside down.
#351 - April 2, 2007, 11:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

"Soon" was last Friday.

I had anticipated soon being sooner and thus, I was wrong.