Thread necromancy

#0 - March 7, 2007, 11:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Nethaera, recently posted this at the end of a thread she locked. "Thread necromancy is bad mmkay? If you feel the urge to start a new discussion about this topic, I suggest you do so versus bumping an old one. :) Thanks!"

As I have recently started reading a variety of forums, I have noticed that thread necromancy is quite taboo. I am curious as to why it is deemed inappropriate.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

-Tebo

p.s. This is neither QQ or PewPew, but, ??.

#4 - March 7, 2007, 11:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
i find it funny that the blues are so insecure though...

It has less to do with our insecurity and more to do with people trying to use the forums as a method of spreading disinformation. Necromancy commonly comes from boredom or a distinct attempt at trying to stir the pot on the forums by taking old messages and putting them in an up-to-the minute context.

Not a lot of people check timestamps and some think this is live chat. Trolls will use this to their advantage to create confusion and conflict.

As it has been an increasing trend as of late, we are taking disciplinary measures against it.
#16 - March 8, 2007, midnight
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I'm gonna do this to this thread in two months.

Bookmark'd.

I suspect this thread will still be pertinent in two months, as the policy won't change in the near future.

However, bumping is also against the Code of Conduct. Tread carefully.
#33 - March 8, 2007, 12:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Right.

Rather than limit the number/age of threads that are available for posting, or otherwise adjusting the system to prohibit the user from doing so, punish the user.

The timestamps are there. It's not your fault, or a troll's fault, if people are too lazy to read and think.

Pardon me, but intent is fairly easy to discern in such a case. The deliberate intent of the poster is what is at hand, not simply the act itself.
#65 - March 8, 2007, 5:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

This is a description of every CM's day when they see more trolls and thread necroing.

Shameless plug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBziW9qQvsc

I really like this song. Some days are like this but thankfully not too often. ;) Those are the days you just need to rebuff with a fire protection pot and move on.
#67 - March 8, 2007, 5:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

You guys aren't issued [Flame Proof Beanie]s when you take the posistion?

I was afraid the beanie would catch fire and it wasn't very fashionable. ;)