Please stop messing with mote drops.

#0 - June 13, 2007, 3:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Ok Blizz, you have done it again. How rare are primals supposed to be? It started out fine, they were easily farmable, you could spend an hour of casual farming and get 1 or 2. Now you have to kill 20-30 elementals to get 1-2 motes. This is ridiculous. Competition for elemental spawns is getting worse and worse with every stealth nerf you put in game. And don't try to claim you aren't messing with the drop rate. I have seen it first hand, it gets worse every patch. You get my $15 a month, you don't require me to play so many hours a week, but with these nerfs, the motes are becoming as rare as essences used to be. Just the motes!

Tell me to QQ all you want haters, but I can only play a hour or two a night and all I do now is farm motes. I don't have time for anything else. Please stop messing with the drop rates, Blizz.
#10 - June 13, 2007, 11:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Without a lot more extensive testing, I'll never know for sure 100%, but I used to be able to get 3-4 Primal Fires in Skald in Blade's Edge Mountains in about 2 hours of farming. Now, it's hard to come away with 2 in the same amount of time.

I've seen claims of changes to mote drops, and I assume we'll continue to see them as long as there's probability involved and a reason for a bad-streak has to be pinned on something tangible, such as a patch. We've checked, double checked, and triple checked drop rates for motes based on player posts and there is no change to the rate. The only change made was that shadow was taken off of certain mobs.

I was in Skald, probably last Thursday, and got 5 primals in about and hour and a half. It's going to vary based on the roll of the dice, and also how many mobs you're able to kill in a specific amount of time of course, but as far as we can tell and as far as at least I've seen through personal play time, the drop rate is the same.
#79 - June 14, 2007, 3:49 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
What they did was add Essences to the loot table for a lot of mobs. This reduces the chance for motes to drop. WHY oh WHY are essences even found in The Burning Crusade. They have NO VALUE anymore. Remove Essences from loot tables and the rate of motes will increase due to a smaller loot table.

It's been stated a few times before, but the Essence drops do NOT replace mote drops. They replace part of what was considered the "nothing" portion of a mote chance. So let's say you kill a creature, you always have the same chance to get a mote, but now instead of also just having a chance to not get one, you have a chance to get an essence instead. They're purely additional and don't cut into the chance you will get a mote, only into the chance that you won't get one.

Maybe I can explain that better. Completely arbitrary but for the sake of simplicity say you have a 50% chance to get a mote, and 50% chance to get no motes. Now you have a 50% chance to get a mote, 40% chance to get nothing, and 10% chance to get an essence. Again these percentages are just for the sake of the example, of course.