"Only a small portion of the players read the

#0 - Aug. 23, 2007, 4:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
"Only a small portion of the player base read the forums". The people that read the forums are the ones that actually care about the game rather than the ones that log on and don't know what's going to happen in the next patch. They are the ones that give you feedback, suggestions etc.

Please, stop using that statement, the so called "small portion of the player base" are the ones that matter. They're the ones that take time out of their schedules to give you feedback on upcoming changes and such. Now, without them this game would be horrifying. Thank the forum goers for taking the time to give you feedback instead of loling@them because they're only a small portion of the player base.
#23 - Aug. 23, 2007, 5:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
"Only a small portion of the player base read the forums". The people that read the forums are the ones that actually care about the game rather than the ones that log on and don't know what's going to happen in the next patch. They are the ones that give you feedback, suggestions etc.

Please, stop using that statement, the so called "small portion of the player base" are the ones that matter. They're the ones that take time out of their schedules to give you feedback on upcoming changes and such. Now, without them this game would be horrifying. Thank the forum goers for taking the time to give you feedback instead of loling@them because they're only a small portion of the player base.

People often ask me how I deal with the negativity that can be pretty regular on the forums. I simply tell them that I don't have a problem with people being passionate about the game. While it's true that it is a small (relatively speaking) population that regularly comes to the forums, I also feel that people come here when they are feeling strongly about something or passionate about something. They may have legitimate concerns or they may just be misinformed, or even curious and excited about new information, but I am glad that we have somewhere for people to come to when they feel they have something to say.

I would rather that people care enough to be upset about things than to see apathy become predominant.

Please don't make this an "Us vs. Them" thread though. We take into account feedback from many different sources and weigh them carefully against each other when designing and making changes to the game. We value our community and would not be where we are without the overwhelming support that comes from it.
#117 - Aug. 23, 2007, 6:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

As someone else already stated, internal testing, paid alpha testers, focus groups, but also external video game industry websites, other gaming developers, and fans that attend conventions such as Blizzcon.

Yes, we have our own internal testing we do, our own experiences from playing, friends/family, listening to people in game, bug reports, reading insights on various web sites, and more. Ultimately what it ends up coming down to is how we want the continuing development of the game to go. If there are legitimate concerns that we can address, we do. If there are smart ideas that we think can help enhance the game, we will. Many times someone may have an idea that we already have thought of or are working on and that idea just cements the validity of our own thoughts.

There is not just one venue for feedback.

Also, to address the idea of how much of the forums can we cover? Obviously not as much as people would like. We get around as much as we can and read as much as we can. Unfortunately, while some people like to hear 'we have read your concern', others don't want us to say anything unless we have a solution for them or solid answers. We do what we can either way. As far as linking to things we've said before, it takes some time for us to research where we said it and just can get a bit redundant with how fast the forums move. Stickies also are rarely read unfortunately. I appreciate your thoughts on what more we can do on the forums, but would urge you to please email to wowcmfeedback.com as a better way to get those ideas to us. Thanks!
#144 - Aug. 23, 2007, 6:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

BTW some of us work on video games outside of wow.....
Turns out we have a slight inkling on how things work

There are others? :P
#155 - Aug. 23, 2007, 6:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Oh, like you're not playing Bioshock right now?

No. Sadly not. I need a longer day so I have more time to play. ;)

We all are gamers here so do try to keep up with all the various games that are in the works or out. I just need to build a new home computer though. Mine is a bit old and frail anymore.