A plea to do something about account security

#0 - Dec. 26, 2006, 4:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Is blizzard going to take any steps to stop account hacking? I personally know at least 20-30 people that have been hacked. It seems as of lately account hacking is a worse epidemic than aids in africa. To have gear and gold that took a player over a year to collect and have it taken in a matter of minutes I would think is a good cause to beef up the security around your login screen. So blizzard are you guys working on anything to make our gaming a little safer? why are our passwords not encrypted. why isn't there a keylogger scanner when we open our login screen. Please I beg you guys to work on a solution to this massive problem that world of warcraft has before I get hacked as well.
#22 - Dec. 26, 2006, 5:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We've already taken steps to increase account security and will continue to do so in the future. Interceptor pages for outside links help curb the potential keylogger. Enchantment limitations have mitigated damage in the event that an account is compromised. We continue to address what we can on our end.

However, the end user simply can not abdicate responsibility in this matter and that responsibility is weighty and ever present. In the end, we are an entertainment business, not a security software company. We can provide a measure of security within our own services, but that does not and can not extend to the security of third-party sites that may associate themselves with this game.

The primary responsibility will always be in the hands of the end user. We can only assist the user in making security-conscious decisions, we can not make the decisions for them.