Lore-Ish Question for the Expansion

#0 - Sept. 12, 2007, 8:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
While the new addition of the Death Knight seems like it'll be interesting, I don't really see how it makes any sense lore-wise for them to be among the alliance or horde. The Lich King goes to the trouble to corrupt the minds of people and imbues them with shadowy powers and whatnot only to... let them wander back to their old factions to fight him? Or have playable death knights been redeemed somehow? Seems weird.
#12 - Sept. 12, 2007, 8:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Just like the warlocks verbal about their practices in the Horde and Alliance, these death knights claim they can use their powers against the force that grants them, in this case the Lich King.

You are correct.

Keep in mind that Warlocks aren't generally welcomed with open arms either (depending on the culture of the race in question). It's most likely that Death Knights aren't going to find themselves being popular guests at the town picnic, however, I'm sure they will be utilized to combat the power of the Lich King just the same.
#22 - Sept. 12, 2007, 8:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So despite drawing on powers that the Lich King provides, they remain entirely autonomous of him? Seems very charitable coming from a guy who enjoys driving paladins insane and making thralls out of people.

I don't think charity comes into it in this case. Look at Lady Sylvanas. I don't think he's pleased he lost control over her and the Forsaken that joined her.
#51 - Sept. 12, 2007, 9:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So the deathknights will be similar to the forsaken? In that they both simply escaped the lich king's grasp? Neato.

I wouldn't say necessarily similar, though I'm sure you could extrapolate some similarities. We have yet to lay out the path to becoming a Death Knight, however, there is significant question as to what choices will be available for those that go down that path. Remember, Arthas didn't set out to become a Death Knight, but his good intentions were twisted on him. He may yet get some pleasure out of doing the same to others.