It's time to start POLLING your playerbase.

#0 - Sept. 19, 2007, 4:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
NOTE: FOR THOSE (PLAYERS AND CM'S) THAT DON'T READ, MY IDEA IS FOR POLLING IN THE GAME. NOT VIA THE WEB OR FORUMS.

I believe it's time Blizzard and the developers start polling their player base about issues and other items they want.

Now before you go voting can be rigged, well no it couldn't if you did it this way. Im not suggesting via a browser but IN GAME.

My suggestion is putting up a board in each city (like a wanted board you see in each area you goto) that will give you "quests" that are really polls/voting quests. Blizzard could use these quests to figure out what players want and the % of the player base.

e.g. You go up to the board and you receive a quest that says "Dear player, we are thinking about implementing a Voice Chat feature in WoW. Would you like to see us implement this or are you happy with your current options of voice chatting via 3rd party programs"

You accept the quest. When you accept it you have the option right away to complete it and the "rewards" are actually answers.

1. Yes
2. No
3. Maybe at a later date but not at the expense of new content

And when you are done, that date goes into their database.

Also these poll quests would only be available for say levels 40+ to answer or even higher if they wanted. Im fine with them being max level so you have a good degree of serious players and you can't use alts to sway the vote as much if it's max level.

Other examples of quest/polls could be:

What would you like to see us develop as future content?

Answers (with the option of picking multiples meaning if you wanted more 5 and 10 man you could pick both)

1. More Solo Content
2. More 5 man Content
3. More 10 man Content
4. More 25 man Content
5. All of the above

I just think Blizzard needs to start "Listening" to its players and not via the forums but in game. The voice chat feature is the latest snafu where it seems no one wants it, we want the patch and we are fine with TS, VENT and Skype and yet they want to push a feature many don't want nor want issues from or lag from when it's really not needed.

Edit/PS: Again, I'm not sure how this is not coming across. I am asking for an in game polling system with very strict permissions (have to be max level, 1 per account, etc to vote).

This would give Blizzard much more accurate feedback via the PLAYER BASE, NOT THE FORUM BASE which is DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT. Also, just because they get the data DOES NOT MEAN that they have to follow or change anything (for those SWG concerns) but it DOES GIVE THEM BETTER FEEDBACK
#1 - Sept. 19, 2007, 5:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Polls can be incredibly inaccurate. While they can be fun and give a limited view of what people like or want, they don't give the whole picture.

What we prefer is for the community to discuss things on the forums as we see on a daily basis. Often times, the hottest topics are reflected in other sites and just serve to back up some of those views. Ultimately though, what it comes down to is what our overall goals for the game are and what we have in mind for the future. We keep an eye on what people are saying, suggestions, and feedback, however direct polling implicates a sort of finality that people feel means if a poll says "x" should be done that it will be done.

If you want to know the best way to get your ideas out, then just simply share your ideas and thoughts on these forums. If people agree or disagree, they'll be sure to let you know. Sometimes an idea will spark something on our end which has happened many times before. You just never know if your discussion becomes the next spark or not.
#127 - Sept. 19, 2007, 6:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Some people are misinterpreting what I said about watching feedback on the forums as being more weighted in considerations. It is only one of many places we get feedback. Generally when I see people mention polls, I take it to mean they want to see them on the forums. There is a lot of caution for doing such a thing due to the implications that comes from it. I'm not saying that the idea of doing them for fun topics doesn't sound interesting.

People have also mentioned many of the changes that have been implemented due to player feedback and suggestions. They are numerous including even some of the flight path changes, additions, and graveyard additions.

#147 - Sept. 19, 2007, 6:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Hmm well I don't think anyone wanted a poll just over the forums. What I think is that, short of quitting, there is no in-game or universal polling system at ALL, so we are left thinking that if Blizzard listens to anything whatsoever, it's the forums. There seems to be no other formal avenue of gathering any data directly from players themselves.

Personally, I am the ONLY person I know who uses the forums. And even I can only take limited bouts with it before getting sick of all the hostility and rudeness and taking off for awhile. Most of the people I know in game don't know of the forums, and the ones who do avoid it for those very reasons. However many of these people have valid opinions and ideas about the game and what would make it better, they simply are not under any impression Blizzard cares or wants to know or would listen.

Someone already brought up the issue of in-game polls. It's easy enough for someone to skew it by simply clicking through to get rid of it.

No matter what, someone somewhere is going to think we just don't care because their idea or opinion wasn't validated by game design changes. We do our best, however, to keep watch on what is going on in the community through many means. In this case, people feel that we are dismissive because the current stance on utilizing polls more. Could that change at some point in time? Perhaps so, but that's not my decision to make. I'm just attempting to have a little dialogue about it with people.
#181 - Sept. 19, 2007, 7:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Neth, let me bring up an example.

On the forums, a topic that has been raised is for enchanters to have the ability to sell their enchants via some device (scrolls) on the AH. The community OVERWHELMING supports the idea, based on the feedback on those threads, but then you gave your opinion that Bliz was happy with how it was working as you wanted to establishment some "personal" relationship between the enchanter and his/her customers.

It was out-of-touch with what the community wants.

Regardless of the medium we provide this feedback to you, I think Bliz needs to challenge its vision on certain game aspects when the majority of your customers are passionate about having reasonable changes implemented.

Regards,

S

Actually, you may have missed that we are looking into making it possible for players to be able to sell some enchants on the Auction House at some point. We mentioned it at BlizzCon and have talked about it a little more on the forums here as well. The higher end enchantments will most likely still need you to find an enchanter.