@ This Game's Geography

#0 - Oct. 5, 2007, 10:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I am a certified Geoecologist, and I must express my concern over the abstract geography of both Kalimdor and Outland. To me, it has become one of the most jarring aspects of the game, and the transition between landscapes sometimes puts me into a shock. It makes no sense.

How would Winterspring be covered in snow, and yet Mount Hyjal (which is significantly higher in altitude) is green and beautiful, sans for a few areas.

Where on earth does Alterac Valley fit on the Alterac Mountains map? Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin, fine, I'll use my imagination since it's not too far off. As I seem to recall, the area between the Alliance and Horde battleground bases have an open area between them full of Ogres and various ruins. Don't even get me started on the snow there, either.

At least you have Northrend's climate right for the most part (I played the demo at Blizzcon and had minor issues with the likelihood of some of the terrain), though that still doesn't explain why the Draenei and the Blood Elves have no sign of winter coats. In actuality the Blood Elves would be significantly chunkier in order to keep warm during the long winter, not the anorexic sun lovers they are now.

The same goes to Stranglethorn Vale and Tanaris. As it appears on the map, STV and Tanaris should have quite a different climate as it is closer to the southern-most point in Azeroth, rather than the Caribbean and desert-style locale featured in the game.

I realize that even in the Falklands there is not snow all year around, but am I supposed to believe that Summer lasts more than 3 years in Azeroth? If so, we're going to have a hell of a Winter coming up.

I demand compensation for my mental anguish, you and your haphazard staff obviously don't care about those of us who love admiring the environment.
#119 - Oct. 6, 2007, 2:48 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I think there is an event outside of Ironforge that celebrates the sums up the spirit of the geography really well... it's all fun and games. :)