Why enchanting is painful

#0 - Oct. 22, 2007, 5:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We have the fewest BOP recipes of any profession (just the ring enchants I think).

We have the only profession that cannot sell its stuff on the AH (engineers have it bad too, but we've already ascertained that Blizzard hates engineers).

We have the hardest and most expensive profession to level. Not only is there no way to make gold (you can d/e and sell mats, but that doesn't level your skill) while skilling up, we have to either sit in a city for hours advertising, or waste enormous amounts of money enchanting our own staff over and over again.

Every other profession can almost break even by selling the stuff it makes. In enchanting, you spill a lot of gold leveling up, and only make a fraction back by d/e materials. With the new profession, Inscription, coming, I feel very ripped off. Inscription is enchanting, there's nothing else to call it. While enchanters upgrade gear, inscriptors (?) upgrade abilities. But inscription scrolls can be sold on the AH, and enchants cannot. What exactly is the point of this? It's like the fresh prince's parents sending him to bel air, what does it accomplish!?

Edit: W0000t my first blue post! /dance

So it is true that alchemy loses out on the BOP stuff and engineering is generally sucky... but engineering has been sucky from the beginning, and there's probably a million posts complaining about, so I'm not even going there.

And yes you can make money by selling dust+shards, I make over 100g a day on enchanting by doing just that, buying out everything under a certain price and d/e it. But the problem with that is I'm not getting any skill points for doing that. It takes me several days of buying out everything (that I know has a 100% chance of d/e for a profit) to make enough gold just to refund one enchant. If I sit in a city advertising, not only do I lose time that could be spent grinding primals or (my personal favorite) Lifesteal recipes, but when I do sell an enchant I don't make any money of it. This is what happens when I try to sell an enchant for exactly the cost of the mats:

Me: WTS X enchant for Y gold.
Noob: Dude WTF you enchanters are always tryng to rip us of thats way too much stfu gt out
Me: Uh, no, go look up the price of these mats on the AH *links enchanting mats*
Noob: Yeah c ur always trying to sell stuff for way 2 much

The issue here is that high-level enchants are just too expensive. Now that might be the players setting the price, but the reason the price is that high is because you have to disenchant a lot of level 60+ items to get the dust and shards for those enchants. It makes twinking expensive, which is a good thing (I do not condone twinking, but I think it ought to be difficult to do), but it also makes gearing up difficult. My tanking gear is far better than my DPS gear right now because I just don't want to spend the money getting the best agility enchants. +5 agility to boots is like 6g on my server. +7 agility to boots is 80g. Now maybe the price increases exponentially, but damn that's a lot!

Tanking gear for me is far easier to upgrade because while a +7 agility enchant is 80g, a +8 stamina armor kit is like 5g. I would have better tanking gear if I enchanted more of it, but armor kits are almost as good if not better, and cost a whole lot less.

On page 6 I go over some possibilities.
#59 - Oct. 22, 2007, 9:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
We have the fewest BOP recipes of any profession (just the ring enchants I think).

We have the only profession that cannot sell its stuff on the AH (engineers have it bad too, but we've already ascertained that Blizzard hates engineers).

We have the hardest and most expensive profession to level. Not only is there no way to make gold (you can d/e and sell mats, but that doesn't level your skill) while skilling up, we have to either sit in a city for hours advertising, or waste enormous amounts of money enchanting our own staff over and over again.

Every other profession can almost break even by selling the stuff it makes. In enchanting, you spill a lot of gold leveling up, and only make a fraction back by d/e materials. With the new profession, Inscription, coming, I feel very ripped off. Inscription is enchanting, there's nothing else to call it. While enchanters upgrade gear, inscriptors (?) upgrade abilities. But inscription scrolls can be sold on the AH, and enchants cannot. What exactly is the point of this? It's like the fresh prince's parents sending him to bel air, what does it accomplish!?

We're working to address some of the issues outlined in your thread for Wrath of the Lich King, Zeplar. Moving forward, we want all of the professions (non-gathering) to offer something special, viable, and unique to the actual crafter.
#63 - Oct. 22, 2007, 9:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Unique as in exclusive to the members of that proffesion, or unique as in cool but otherwise useless? I would personally like some more of both =)

Return Enchanters making enchanted metal/leather/cloth/wands please.

Exclusive to the actual crafter -- though we plan to aim for cool as well. :)