Gladiator Qualification Clarification

#0 - Oct. 23, 2007, 5:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I was wondering if a blue could shed any insight onto Gladiator Qualifications.

Is it that you guys straight up take the total # of teams in a bracket, multiply that by 0.005 and give the resulting teams gladiator.

Or do you sort through and not count teams that haven't been active in awhile, have players with zero games played, etc, whatever other things you guys can think of.

I bring this up because with a little investigating someone can find the lowest ranked team in a bracket and find out roughly how many teams there are in the bracket and then get a good idea what the cut off is for gladiator and know when to keep pushing or when to stop.

for example 20,000 teams in a bracket would give the top 100 teams gladiator. But this would be less if blizzard has a means of discounting teams towards that 20k total.

Clarification on this would be appreciated. Being told "we can't tell you" would be lame, because as far as I know all competitive leagues in the world don't keep it a mystery if you're going to "make the playoffs" or "qualify for the next round".

In fact the code to place a marker on all the arena standing pages to say "gladiator cutoff" would be about 2 minutes of code writing, it would also instigate a lot more competition which is what arena is all about.
#6 - Oct. 23, 2007, 7:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Last season all teams were taken into account.

This season we're looking in to the possibility of defining an inactive team and excluding them from the total team count. Whether that can happen or not hasn't been concluded as of yet. We still plan to provide two weeks notice before the end of season 2, and if any changes are made to how we determine which teams would be considered "eligible" for the end of season rewards (ie counted towards the final .5%) we will announce it then.

We're not looking to ruin the chance for any teams where players have jumped off or on (that's what the season 3 personal ratings are for), but really just to define a truly inactive team and keep them from counting towards a final team total.