How many video cards has WoW claimed?

#0 - Oct. 31, 2007, 5:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Or other hardware? I'm counting anything that has failed while you were playing the game. For some systems this is a pretty good stress test on equipment and cooling. Share your story of where and what.

Since I've started playing I've had a GeForce 6800 burn out a transistor (with smoke, in the middle of a molten core raid) and later replaced the same card about 9 months later after the fan seized.

So for me, WoW has claimed the lives of 2 video cards. I've played since Nov '04 and have about 180 /played. I know of at least 3 of my friends who have also had to replace video cards (2 from fans seizing) and 1 that had his motherboard just quit (heat related we think).

Summary - 5 video cards, may they rest in pieces.

EDIT:

This post was meant to be more humour than blaming the game. Hardware can and will fail, i was just looking for funny stories about when it failed why you were playing =(
#13 - Oct. 31, 2007, 5:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
That's like blowing a motor while driving 25mph down a neighborhood street. I don't think it was the street.

I don't doubt that a faulty component will fail while under any stress, including WoW, but it would only be the catalyst and not the cause for a failure. Five video cards seems a bit extreme for just bad luck, I would have to hazard a guess that something else is going on.
#59 - Oct. 31, 2007, 6:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So the next time you hear a loud noise outside, be warned -- it may be inside your computer.

Words to live by.
#84 - Oct. 31, 2007, 7:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
My friend killed a motherboard and two 7800GTs on a system with a faulty power supply. Poor guy... he wanted his wife to play World of Warcraft with him. Now the parts act as cubicle decoration material.