Do Away With Easy Mode Tanking!

#0 - Nov. 15, 2007, 7:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As a warrior, I have always prided myself on my ability to hold agro on many mobs at once. It is a task that is vital to the success and clean execution of a group, especially in Heroic instances where it is often needed to control three, four, and sometimes up to six or seven mobs (Shattered Halls). For a warrior to be able to do this, we must utilize a variety of abilities, and be aware of the overall threat we have on any given mob at all times. Thunderclap(which can only hit so many mobs at once), spreading sunders, intelligent use of shield slam and concussion blow, well timed intervenes, demo shouts - all of these must be in constant and effective use for us to keep our groups alive.

Druids have it a little easier with swipe, but must still do a significant amount of target switching to ensure that they are able to control all of the agro in any given fight.

Then there is the Paladin, who is these days becoming more and more a viable main raid tank when properly specced. Paladins have and are tanking Illidan, and some guilds use Paladins exclusively as their main tanks. This is fine, I don't mind sharing main tanking responsibilities with another class.

Their easy, brainless ability to tank any instance is not fine.

The ease of which a Paladin can tank as many mobs as they like, limited only by their gear, undermines the skill required for a Warrior and Druid to do the same job. A paladin can run through the entire gauntlet in Shattered halls, pop consecration at the end(maybe once or twice during the run), and literally control every single mob with the single push of a button, to the point where even a fairly heavy mage/warlock AE will not pull it off.

I have heard that each of the tanking classes have their own advantages, and I agree with this concept wholeheartedly. Paladins it seems are being given too many of these advantages of late.

I'm not saying nerf them, I'm not saying make them less raid or group viable.

I say make them work harder. Make them utilize their skills as a player, and if you *really* want them to be the best 5 man tanks, perhaps reconsider the buffs they have been given to make them more effective as main tanks in raids.

Alternatively, you could make it easier for warriors to hold group agro. I don't much like this idea myself, as I enjoy the challenge involved in playing my class. Really it's not that huge of a deal, I myself tank just fine. I just tend to shake my head when I'm healing a paladin on my Shaman and think to myself, "I will never pick up a pug Warrior again"

#140 - Nov. 15, 2007, 8:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
You are right in that all of the tanking classes have slightly different styles of play but currently we are happy with how these are performing.
#182 - Nov. 15, 2007, 9:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm impressed by the wide variety of opinions on this topic. I think it really shows how each of the tanks has their areas in which they excel.