The Argument Is Old, But...

#0 - Nov. 4, 2006, 10:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I know its been said a thousand times - Oceanic players will never get their own locally hosted servers, but I have a couple of questions.

If other MMO Companies can justify having US Servers even when the number of subscribers is under 100k, why can't Blizzard justify Oceanic Local Servers for the same reason?

Do you have a 'magic number' the Oceanic player population needs to reach before we get our own servers? Or is it a flat 'no'?

Yes, you've answered the Oceanic debate over and over again, but keep in mind precedent - Not only did UO bow to pressure, but so too have you on a lot of issues.

Regards.
#3 - Nov. 4, 2006, 10:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
If other MMO Companies can justify having US Servers even when the number of subscribers is under 100k, why can't Blizzard justify Oceanic Local Servers for the same reason?

Because our business plan involved penetration into different markets.

Korea, Europe, China, etc. We have grown as a business to reach out to a great many areas and that requires a great deal of resources from all points of the company.

Other MMO's have not had the same success in breaching large eastern markets like this game has, so the search for subscriptions may take them to different regions. Precedent doesn't really hold up as a point for this matter. Our current situation is precedent; a case by itself.

There is simply no amount of player pressure that can radically alter a business plan that has proven successful and broad-reaching as this one. We would love to pile more folks on board with dedicated sites all over the world, but from a realistic standpoint, it is not possible at this time.
#11 - Nov. 4, 2006, 10:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Which in no way addresses the question of "Why?"

'Why' what?
#18 - Nov. 4, 2006, 10:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Wow...just...wow. That's great customer focus.

Don't use my comments to make sweeping statements, please.
#33 - Nov. 4, 2006, 11:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

You work for Blizzard that you can assess their business situation?

To a limited degree. It is my business to have various points of contact and 'be in the loop' with a number of departments, not just development.

I can eyeball numbers of the Oceanic population and tell you that they differ from other markets in number by orders of magnitude. I have also been following this topic for over a year, so I am not completely unfamiliar with the overall business plan and approach.

I mean, I have had to put out offical statements on the subject, so I do have a few pointers to base my comments on. ;)
#36 - Nov. 4, 2006, 11:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Err, Tseric, my post was quoting Seramyr of Mal'Ganis. I know that you work for Blizzard!

Oh...ummmm...of course.

Carry on, then. :P