S3 Weapons Rating Requirements

#0 - Sept. 18, 2007, 10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
It's a terrible, terrible idea and fails if you think it out logically. First I'd like to say that I agree that the calibur of weapons gotten through arena should be limited in some way. However, there is no way to impliment a rating requirement correctly.

If you require a rating to purchase the items, everyone will buy onto a sufficiently rated team to get them if they can't get to 1900 themselves. Essentially, you haven't stopped any of the low rated teams to get the items but you've cost less skilled players a significant chunk of gold and effort.

If you require a rating to use the items, you'll essentially require those players to have 2 sets of weapons in case their rating might dip or they want to change teams.

I'm not that great of a pvp'er. In all likelihood I'll never be above 1900. Despite that, I would love to see the greatest arena teams rocking out with exceptional gear. They've earned it and it's actually something rare. You're either burdening the less skilled players or burdening the more skilled players. You REALLY need to recognize the fact that players buy their way onto successful teams all the time. If you burden the less skilled players, you've done NOTHING to limit the opportunity to get these weapons.
#13 - Sept. 18, 2007, 10:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
You will only need a specific rating to purchase the items, it won't be required for their use. If you hit 1900 (for instance, this isn't a final number by any means) you'll be able to purchase and use the items, and if you dip below that you won't be able to buy them, but you'll be able to continue using those you've already purchased.

We're also well aware that this could potentially encourage players to join higher rated teams for a chance to obtain the items, and at later time we'll be discussing the solution coming that will prohibit it.
#20 - Sept. 18, 2007, 10:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
drysc, hopefuly u check back, when you guys release s3 arena gear, will there be new honor points gear as well? and upgrade to the current "veteran's" set? im asking because i assumed there wont be any new honor points upgrades because i didnt see it mentioned anywhere. would like some clarification.

We've stated on numerous occasions that Season 1 items will be available from honor vendors, and this does include weapons.

Q u o t e:
So you're confirming 1900 is the "magic rating?"

Nope. Sorry, I was using it as an example not the final rating.
#42 - Sept. 18, 2007, 11:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Sorry blue, but by making a rating requirement to PURCHASE the items only, you are just going to cause more of a monetary demand to PURCHASE team ratings. People will farm up the junk points they need on their sub 1900 teams, then the PVP guys will sell slots on their teams so that folks can purchase their weapons.

Then again, with the advancement level of the game right now, that will help keep your in game player based enconomy rolling, now won't it?

Did you read the portion of text you quoted?
#168 - Sept. 19, 2007, 6:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Heres a question. 2 Equally skilled players.. one with Season 2 Weapon, the other with Season 3 Weapon..

The difference between items season to season really isn't the amazing tide turner you're making it out to be. If it comes down to some type of AI simulation where each player is naked with only the weapons equipped, and they have equal skill, then you're right, you might not be able to advance.

Luckily we don't live in a world of robotic skill equalization, and if you're able to advance to the higher ratings a handful of stat points isn't going to make or break you. The issue is purely, and simply, that you don't think you will be able to achieve a rating to get the weapon, and you want it. That's an understandable reaction, but I think it would do a lot for you to create a discussion based on that reaction, and not attempt to make reasonings elsewhere as to why it's a bad idea.

We want specific items to remain "exclusive" to the higher end players. When you see someone in tier 6 you know exactly where they've been, and their progression. For PvP you may see someone with almost full season 2 and a bonegrinder, and then... realize they're on a ~1500 team. There's no visual status separation there, and that's what we want to achieve.