Why are there only 4 Battlegrounds?

#0 - July 12, 2007, 4:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Why do we only have four battlegrounds? Since the first three battlegronds, we've have how many dungeons and raid instances? And in all that time, they've only managed to squeek out one more BG? A BG that's pretty plain, at that.

A BG can not take nearly as long to create as a dungeon or raid instance. It's time to start churning out some more Battlegrounds. Start with the one in Azshara. Then give us one where we're fighting in a big city...it'd be cool to have some close-quarters fighting. Booty Bay was always one of my favorite places to PvP back in the day.

More Battlegrounds please.
#5 - July 12, 2007, 4:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We do have plans to add more battlegrounds in the future. How many, I couldn't answer for you at this time.

There is a method to the madness, however. Mostly, it has to do with making sure there is a healthy population of people to take part in the battlegrounds. If we have too many battlegrounds, the population will thin out and queues will go up. Where Arenas are quick battles that don't need a lot of time commitment (based on limiting how many games a team may choose to play beyond the minimum), battlegrounds tend to take a bit more time and have no real downside for playing them almost exclusively if people choose to.

We have more plans in the future in general for PvP though nothing more concrete that I can share with you right now. It's common knowledge that an expansion is in the works. More on the details will come in time as to what all will be included in it.
#27 - July 12, 2007, 4:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

WHAT?!? Seriously, this statement alone shows how out of touch you guys are. You think that finding four total strangers who happen to share your EXACT playing schedule and setting up a Vent server isn't "time consuming"?

Please quote the rest of the statement. I said as far as how many games need to be played to meet the requirements of the Arena. Nowhere in my statement did I say anything to diminish the commitment, coordination, or dedication of an Arena team to be successful.
#43 - July 12, 2007, 4:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

You have no response that do ya?

Of course I have no response to that other than to say I have no response to that. :) I already said I can't discuss any more details on the future of development at this point in time. You've got me in a bit of a catch 22 here. I can't deny ideas or confirm them without somehow leading people to think one way or another in this case. People will make conjectures anyway though I'm sure.

Please remember, just because people have put their "easy solutions" on the forums and haven't seen them come to fruition, doesn't mean we aren't aware of what people feel or think the solutions may be. It also doesn't mean that if we are reading that you might see your exact ideas come to fruition. We have a lot of our own ideas that often coincide with what people in the community are feeling or seeing for the future. Believe it or not, we all really do play and really do discuss what we see for the future of the game with each other.

That said though, we love reading what people think the future will hold. We also love when we can implement something we all love that the community loves as well. That, my friends, is the ultimate goal of any game design team. We want others to love what we love and gain from it what we gain. It's a very lofty goal and a very difficult one to achieve as you all well may know by now. It's not an exact science and because of that, we will keep working hard toward that goal and doing the best we can.