Let us log in invisible to /friend and /who!

#0 - Dec. 6, 2007, 11:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
(If you are going to reply, PLEASE read from here to the Agree or Disagree point. This is a suggestion for the ability to log on invisible to /friend and /who so you don't always have to be hassled. This is a serious discussion not for flamers)
Dear Blizz

Can you make it so that if we wish to not be bothered we can hide from /who and /friend listings.
A function like this was featured in Dark Age of Camelot where if you wanted to just play by yourself you could just type /anon (Don't quote me on the function it's been years since I played) and it essentually hid you from friends and /who lists until you either logged off and logged on or turned it off.

This allows people who want to just log on, get a quest done and log off not to be bothered by friends and puggers.

This allows people who want to play and not get bothered by people to log on and go about there bussiness, when they want to talk to people they can turn it off

This allows people to NOT be tracked by spies. Say you kill a highly popular alliance member, they have someone log on a horde alt to find out where you are, and send there friends to kill you. This prevents this reprocussion. I've seen it happen where the same 6 people killed a player in 3 different zones due to this spying.

This allows people who are in a bad mood to just play.. or casual players

It also allows you to hid from peopel begging you for random groups, or people who see you in a dungeon begging to get it

IT allows you to bypass the akward notion of telling your friends your not in the mood to talk, you just appear offline

This will allow you to go about your business however you like. Say you got 10minutes, you want to talk to a friend or guild mate really quickly about when the next raid is. You log on, page them and talk to them. They are the only people who KNOW your on. Without this you log on and get paged by lother people and becomes just a bother.

Also while you appear offline, allow the ability to send and accept pages. Maybe you just want to play with your significant other in the game, and no one else this allows the two of you to be online but unnoticed by everyone else

This is not being Anti-Social, I am not suggesting this be used 24/7 though some people might. This is for those rare times, where you log on and just want to escape into the game that is WoW, talking to a few select people, instead of everyone and there brother bugging you because they see you online.

This is about spending and using your time to yourself while in the game.

This does not change your appearance however.. if people run into you on the field they will still see you.. maybe add /anon next to your name or something

This option would be like the "Invisible" option on Yahoo and AIM messanger.
They should add a checkbox Next to your character name on the character select screen that says "Log in Invisible?"

I know some of you are thinking about "Why don't you use /AFK and /DND" well neither work if you wish to not be bothered.

If your using /AFK, people can still see you moving from zone to zone, killing off baddies with /who and /friend

If you chose /DND, that doesn't work either, and neither does the Automated responses from certain mods. In many cases, people will page you regardless. In some extreme cases the /dnd causes people to page you more then usual, and no matter what your /dnd says most people will say "Turn that annoying thing off" it really serves no purpose.
If you agree or disagree please post! =)

Before people take the line that many people and Blizzard Admins have stated
"This Defeats the purpose of an MMO"
I would like to know exactly HOW it defeats the purpose of an MMO.

Are you playing with 1000 other layers? Yep, check
Are you able to walk into town and everyone see you? Yep, check
Are you still able to party up with other players? Yep, check
Can you still talk to friends? Yep, check
Are you still able to be seen and ganked by other players? Yep, check
Can people who see you still talk to you? Yep, check
Can you still raid with 25-40 other people? Yep, check
Can you still talk in guild, party, Trade, General? Yep, check

This defeats the purpose of an MMO as much as invisible defeats the purpose of a Messanger. We use it for a reason, when we don't want to be bothered by anyone out there who just happens to see or like our name at that time period. Maybe we don't want some level 1 sending us a random page, as much as we don't want some random freak on Yahoo sending us a message "Your cute.. ASL?"
Invisible allows us to hide from such harrassments from even happening!
Everyone wants to be alone at some point, and everyone views there time in wow as valuable at some point as well. Now why can't we make ourself go invisible so we can do it.

Heck, many people want to go raiding with their guild, which I remind you IS an mmorpg purpose, and not be bothered by "Hey what boss you on" "Hey can I join" "Hey did you wipe yet" from random people once you get inside.

All this invisible idea does is save you time and harrassment from outside sources. They are sources you don't want to ignore, but it allows you some peace and quiet when you want to play the game in a semi solo mood.

Here is an example of what /dnd does (In my experience)
all /dnd does is put up a reply message from you, but most people ignore it

/dnd Busy Soloing
<Lowbie> hey I need help in WC, I'm friends of Jackarse! he said your a good guy
<cytheria does no reply>
<Lowbie> C-mon man, I heard you were cool. Oh Turn off that gay DND
<Mother Pugger> We're looking for a tank for Ramparts.. we know your 70 but we need you! Oh Shut off that DND

Doesn't seem to really stop them from noticing your on and bugging you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was also posted on the Suggestion forums to a favorable response!
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=3168523156&sid=1&pageNo=1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never expected to have this become so Epic. I just wanted Blizz to notice this and think about this idea. I am glad I got a blue response, however it seems more like a pressed and canned response more then anything. Atleast Blizz responded.

I originally posted this idea (Weeks ago) When I had a bad day in and was made worse in game. Was really down in the dumps irl due to stomach flu, had to get a paper done, and just wasn't in the mood to put up with anyone irl. So I logged into wow to do Battle grounds. For the first time since I returned I was being harrassed left and right. Not really harrassment per say but I was being paged to come do dungeons, help with quests, help out lowbies, consistantly. I kept telling people no no no no, I am just here to blow off steam in a BG, and get it over with. It became annoying to have to repeat myself so much, I tired the DND but it only served to annoy the people I was talking to at the time.

It was then I remembered the /anon of DAoC. Where if I felt like crafting, I could go ANON and no one would know I was on, I wouldn't be asked for help or anything. I would talk to a couple friends who were on and knew I wanted privacy, but that was it. I then added how nice this feature WOULD be in wow. So I posted it, here and on suggestions. On the suggestions forum it was approved by most who replied, here it was venomly hated. Well I decided I would post it again during the week to see how people really felt about this, get a larger audiance. The people who generally hated it gave it as a reason to be unsocial, however we all have days like this. I knew other would support my idea and wanted to see both sides brought to light so I reposted and here it is.
#39 - Dec. 7, 2007, 12:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
This discussion has come up before and while we do support the solo playstyle, World of Warcraft is ultimately a social game. We don't really want to encourage fully non-social behaviors.