Server type... is there any difference now?

#0 - June 28, 2007, 3:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
honestly, other than being able to / get ganked in world pvp, is there any other function for pvp servers? this to me seems a little silly...

what other differences are there?
#4 - June 28, 2007, 3:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
honestly, other than being able to / get ganked in world pvp, is there any other function for pvp servers? this to me seems a little silly...

what other differences are there?

You greatly underestimate the reality of PvP virtually everywhere you go. You may not think it's significant to be able to be "ganked" (as you put it) in world PvP, but there is a definite thrill that you can get from being out in a pvp area and knowing you very well could find an enemy waiting for you over the next rise. That is of value in and of itself. It gives people a certain sense of feeling danger and in control/ able to retaliate against an enemy if they need to. It gives you options of 'kill or don't kill' when you cross an enemy doing their own thing. Those are options and choices you don't get on a PvE realm.

I'm certainly not sayinga PvP realm is better than a PvE realm so much as saying that they do in fact offer different things even if it doesn't seem so to you. Each offers a particular sort of playstyle whether you like one over the other or not.
#15 - June 28, 2007, 3:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Yeah, getting annihilated by max-level players when you're level 20 is definitely a thrill.

It can be. Especially if you call for help and watch the person that was killing you get stomped by friends or people that just happened to be by.

We can argue about which is better PvE or PvP, but as I said, it comes down to play style. If you are the sort that gets upset about the possibility of being ganked, then don't play on a PvP realm. If you don't mind the challenge of overcoming someone that gets their kicks from killing lowbies, then go for it. I can tell you, I've been multi-ganked by higher levels as well as teams of enemies before. I simply dust myself off and decide, do I want to fight, do I want to call in friends, or do I want to move on. There are choices available for me at that point.

There are many others that enjoy that aspect as well.
#25 - June 28, 2007, 4:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Sadly, the candle makes no mention of there being any differences whatsoever on RP servers. I wish they had put in a RP server Ruleset like EQ did back in the day, even if it's only lightly enforced. Ah well.

The original post didn't bring up the RP realms. I don't like to stretch the boundaries of the conversation. Bringing up RP just devolves into a lot of debate over what makes an RP realm special, not special, arguments over what is good RP or not, who RPs, who doesn't, why isn't "X" rule enforced, why don't you leave our realm alone, and more as far as arguments go. I didn't feel it was worth going down that path this morning. ;)
#38 - June 28, 2007, 4:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
wow neth levelled on a pvp realm im impressed.

i was under the impression all you CM's were carebears :P

i guess now the truth of your killer instinct is revealed eh :P

I've said that I PvP in the past. You must have missed the memo. ;) I love PvP. I also love RP. People don't know what to do with that information. (I don't RP while killing unless I have a macro.)
#47 - June 28, 2007, 4:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Whether people enjoy the current system or not the current PvP system is broken. PvP servers are not based around player to player combat in any other sense than ganking and griefing without fear of administrative action. If it were any differant civilian quest givers wouldn't be attackable and there wouldn't be town guards.

Be careful when you claim the system is "broken". That would imply that nothing works at all. It works, just not the way you may be envisioning it.

Also, we still just don't like the idea of having invulnerable NPCs everywhere. Yes, there are some that are in that category but let's not debate that. Having those NPCs be attackable is much better than having people march through a city of untouchables. I can't debate whether the guards are too much or too little since I've heard both sides of that coin before. We also have to remember what we do on one realm type will effect the other. Otherwise, what would happen if we got too specialized is that we would end up developing two seperate games. That's not a great way to manage our development time.

That said though, feedback on what people want out of PvP is always welcome, we just need to keep in mind that it will have an effect on PvE realms to one degree or another as well.
#67 - June 28, 2007, 5:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

If you reward (honor points) then people will find the easiest way (gank) to receive the reward. I think there is a psychology book that explains that. I'll try to dig it up. :)

Well, we could probably debate on what the easiest way to gank is since it depends on who is doing it and their personal philosophies of what they want out of PvP. I'm sure the "path of least resistance" is used quite a bit. I also think though that people that genuinely like a challenge aren't the ones going for the cheap kills. Ganking low levels though isn't netting anyone any honor though so we can't really say that's the easiest way to gank.
#135 - June 28, 2007, 11:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

MMhmm and we're supposed to believe you talk from experience? I just don't see Neth ever having played on PvP.

Now that's just wrong and hurtful. Next you'll pull out the "carebear" accusation. Shame on you!
#139 - June 28, 2007, 11:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Sorry but I am not trying to be hurtful, you just don't seem the type to play on a Pvp server, maybe you are. If you aren't, then your post was just conjecture and not fact.

*edit* Why would I say anything about being a carebear. I don't play PvP either. That looking over your shoulder thing got old quick.

I definitely PvP. Why else do you think I can afford to be nice here? ;p (It's a joke folks!) I like the looking over my shoulder thing. I have plenty of experience with PvP and have been a PvPer for pretty much all of my gaming life.