Priest Pain Suppression

#0 - Oct. 14, 2007, 2:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
If someone could clarify (possibly Blizzard), why was Pain Suppression reduced in effectiveness from 60% to 40%? This talent was my life saver in PVP when I get focused by a billion people in BG. Was this change made with the idea that it needs to be less effective because it is able to be cast on other people now?

I can understand making it less effective on other people -- but it should remain 60% when it is a self buff. So could someone please clarify why this is a GOOD change? Or even what the reasoning behind is.
#21 - Oct. 18, 2007, 5:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
If someone could clarify (possibly Blizzard), why was Pain Suppression reduced in effectiveness from 60% to 40%? This talent was my life saver in PVP when I get focused by a billion people in BG. Was this change made with the idea that it needs to be less effective because it is able to be cast on other people now?

I can understand making it less effective on other people -- but it should remain 60% when it is a self buff. So could someone please clarify why this is a GOOD change? Or even what the reasoning behind is.

The change to Pain Suppression is something that has been a subject of debate for some time. Previously when players wanted it to be castable on others, it was mentioned that 65% of a damage reduction was just too much. This change makes it possible to cast it on others and still get significant benefit out of it. Don't forget that there is also an additional benefit of having Pain Supression in that you get a 40% dispel resist for 8 seconds, if you have Silent Resolve, that's an 65% spell resist while it's in use still.

The threat reduction also can be of benefit for getting that edge off of a DPSer when you need to and at the same, time is still very viable to throw on a main tank if they have enough aggro. We just didn't want it to feel as if the only person that a Priest would be casting it on would be a main tank.
#53 - Oct. 18, 2007, 6:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Doesn't the cool down go down from 3 mins to 2 mins also? Even though it will only 40%, you can cast it more often.

That is correct. I'd like to encourage everyone that is able to play on the test realm to give it a try and give feedback on the PTR forums.

I'll try to answer any other answers I can.

I'm one that has used Pain Suppression in it's current incarnation and I'm willing to give up a little to get more use out of it.

Please also keep in mind that the Discipline Tree itself is on the radar for further updates, but those are going to be more significant changes that are going to be a part of the expansion changes being worked on. Once there is more to talk about on that end of things, we'll start discussing it.

In the meantime, we are still watching for threads that have good constructive feedback on the various talents.
#61 - Oct. 18, 2007, 6:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Neth can you please confirm or clarify when exactly the dispel resist will come into play? Is it during the PS buff only, or is it always on. We were told it was going to be always-on, but what you said contradicts that.

Thanks.

I'm going to get clarification on this. Currently on the PTR the tooltip reads as follows, but may be incorrect or not read properly:

Pain Suppression
Rank 0/1
Requires 40 points in Discipline Talents
209 Mana 40 yd range
Instant cast 2 min cooldown

Instantly reduces a friendly target's threat by 5%, reduces all damage taken by 40% and increases resistance to Dispel mechanics by 65% for 8 sec.

#103 - Oct. 18, 2007, 9:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I'm sorry, I just get so damn angry with blue posters on anything about priests simply because they just *don't get it*. It's to the point I almost want to quit after playing the game since day one since I like the class so much.

:\

I"m so so sick of these underhanded disguised nerfs. They put a long cooldown on prayer of mending then when they lower the cooldown to what it currently is they parade it around as a buff. They parade this around as a buff while anyone with half a brain about how the game itself works would see it's clearly not.

Not having the same viewpoint as you does not mean we don't understand what you are saying or how you are feeling. People often get these mixed up. It's not a disguised nerf but a change that is meant to give the ability more utility. We have also said that that Discipline is known to need refinement and direction, but large changes aren't going to happen until the expansion. Testing the results on the test realm and giving constructive feedback goes a long way beyond just voicing your disdain for the change without additional information to back it up. You are free to feel angry if you wish, but please try to give more first hand accounts to go with it so there is more to work from.

As to answer someone else's question, it's dispell resist and not spell resist, yes.
#130 - Oct. 18, 2007, 11:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Is the threat reduction permanent or does it come back when the Pain Suppression ends?

It instantly reduces the threat by 5% until/unless the target rebuilds that threat.

As for addressing more at this time, sorry, there isn't much more to say right now. I can only say that more is in the works so many times. The concerns are known and have been expressed. The Development Team is going to continue to work on the upcoming changes for 2.3, and we're going to continue to give them feedback based on those changes. The best I can say right now is to keep watching the patch notes and keep taking a look at the Test realm changes for yourselves.

Also to clarify, it is correct that the bonus dispel is available while Pain Suppression is active only. There was a correction to how it functioned in a prior patch since the dispel resistance was lasting the duration of a buff rather than only for the duration of Pain Suppression.

The Discipline Tree will continue to be looked at and more changes are going to be coming.
#182 - Oct. 19, 2007, 6:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Pass the information to the Dev's Neth. I know you're reading :-P.

Of course. :)