Doing things with no reward = not worth it

#0 - April 27, 2007, 3:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Why waste time doing old content, instances you don't need, or battlegrounds? I know everyone is gonna say "zomg they're fun", but they're not. This game is about getting geared up, getting rep, grinding, etc. Its not a fun game. So why not go after stuff that can benefit you instead of wasting time on stuff that doesn't?
#53 - April 27, 2007, 6:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I like PvP. My reward is beating the other person/s. Others only PvP to earn things. That's a choice that people make about what they find enjoyable.

I also like exploring (you know, the old, explore new places, meet exotic new creatures/monsters and kill them thing) and will go back to various places where I may have skipped things JUST to see what I missed out on. No reward is necessary for me to enjoy that.

I'm not "goal" oriented in that way. My goal orientation is more toward being the best at what I do for the sake of being the best not for the reward at the end of doing something. Yeah, I like my shiny new toys. I like getting new gear to try out. But, I'm not the one that you will see in a group get upset about missing out on an item because someone else won the roll, had more dkp or needed it more than me.

It's not a lie to say that people go back to places because they find it fun. Some people DO find it fun. Just because you don't doesn't negate its value. Everyone places value on their time in different ways. If the reward is a new experience or new knowledge and not just experience, rep or loot, who are you to say it's wasting that time?
#77 - April 27, 2007, 6:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

What about the negative side effects PvP has on this game? A large ammount of players hate how PvP nerfs affect PvE play. Do the devs have any plans on seperating PvP and PvE rules anytime in the future?

They are intricately tied together and trying to do so would be like creating two completely different games. There has to be a certain level where the triggers for PvP vs. Non-PvP make sense. Not to mention, I've seen a lot of sentiment from people that they want all PvE or all PvP and that really WOULD push the elements of design to diametrically opossed purposes. People get upset right now about the timeline to push out new content or bug fixes and in the next breath wish there was more separation between PvP and PvE but in the end, having that separation would cause even more time to be invested to where the entire process would slow down even more.

I'm quite sure that people will theorize about how to make it possible and usually the ideas are "simple to implement" in their minds, but as much as people try to criticise developers, it's really not that simple when taking in the various complexities within the code.

Also, let's say, someone creates a character on a "pure" PvP realm. Now that person gets curious about the PvP side. They go there and realize, all their abilities are completely different because PvP warrants it to be so. They've basically walked into an entirely new game that they can't just start playing and enjoying because they now have an extra learning curve. We don't want to build on those sorts of learning curves when it doesn't make sense.

We are continuing to push forward in both aspects of the game and will continue to do so. There are a lot of opportunities for us to add interesting new elements to both and we haven't even reached the end of the ideas that we have brewing.

Neth's Notes version:

More diversification between PvE and PvP = More time in development and more hurdles for people to learn and get past.
Also= Developing two different games wrapped up as one.
End Result= It's not the most feasible way to design a game and lends itself to too many extra complications.
Future Goals= To keep adding elements to both, hopefully, in fun and interesting ways.
#80 - April 27, 2007, 6:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Why do so many WoW players (and professional CMs with communications degrees, apparently) have so much trouble differentiating between the words "Roll" and "Role"?

I mean, it's not rocket surgery...

I don't know what it is but my fingers gravitate toward that darn "e" on the keyboard. I have that letter pop up in weird places sometimes. ;/ It's fixed but I certainly know the difference between the two. ;)
#159 - April 27, 2007, 10:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Neth has an e-peen.

Incidentally, that sounds like something a FPS gamer would say. You a CS or UT fan?

I was an FPSer before I ever touched an MMO. I won't say what my preference is on the FPS end of things since I don't want to seem like I'm endorsing one over the other. I'll stay neutral and say "it's all good". ;)