Operation: Blood Elf

#0 - Dec. 18, 2006, 4:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I realize the official position is that there is no population imbalance between Horde and Alliance. However, anyone who's played both factions on the same (pve) server knows that is almost always untrue. There is, in fact, a pretty large imbalance. Perusing warcraftrealms.com tends to back this up. Checking out the AH's of both factions on a typical server tends to confirm this.

Anyway, I'm not creating this topic to argue *if* there is an imbalance or not.

Rather, I'm curious to know if people share my opinion (or not) that Blood Elves will be so popular that there is a good chance that the Horde will finally outnumber the Alliance on many servers.

Do you agree?

Do you think Blood Elf will 'tilt the scales' to the Horde side?
#10 - Dec. 18, 2006, 4:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I must admit. When I clicked on this thread I thought that the game "Operation" now had a Blood Elf instead of the other guy with the red nose. I'm just a tad disappointed.

Other than that, I think that many people are trying to decide whether they want a Draenei or a Blood Elf. Some will decide based on the faction they are now. I.E. They will roll the opposite just to experience it or they will roll the same because that is where their guild and friends are. I'm leaning toward most rolling the side they are already on due to the guild support issues. There are others that are drawn to the physical appearance of the races as well.

Will this tip the scales one way or another? There is no telling. Different realms have different population types.

I think people should play what they enjoy most though. Both new races are fun and have their own flavor. I think that is the most important part of these two races, that they were created to be fun and advance the storyline that we have now.

I guess we will see what happens when the Burning Crusade Releases. As much as we can think about who is going to roll what first, we also need to take into account that many people will be making the dash to 70 so they can experience the upper end dungeons and ranked Arenas as well. There are a lot of variables in the making.

I guess we could just ask people what they plan to do and see. :) I'll be taking a character to 70 first and then it's a toss up between a Blood Elf Paladin or a Draenei Warrior. I think. Maybe. We shall see.

BTW: I agree that the Ghostlands will be quite a draw. They are beautiful and fun both as well as a bit deadly.
#22 - Dec. 18, 2006, 4:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Don't forget there is another 'unknown' to factor into the equation. How many new people will sign up to join in the fun and chaos? With the base game so inexpensive, it would be easy enough for someone to pick them both up. Will they roll based on their friends? Will they roll based on looks? Will they research to see what seems the most fun to them? So many 'what ifs'. Fun isn't it?
#36 - Dec. 18, 2006, 4:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I feel that the addition of paladins to the horde side and shaman to the alliance side will help the overall balance as well. But it won’t happen overnight.

I think what you said there is very important for people to take into account. Please for the love of all creation, do NOT log in the first week or two and get upset if the population seems skewed. What people end up playing long term is going to be a bit different as time goes by.