Why do So Many People Duel?

#0 - Sept. 5, 2007, 6:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I have never understood the widespread fascination with dueling in this game. Why do so many people stand outside IF, SW, UC, and Org for hours at a time and just duel random people over and over?

This is why I don't understand it: There is nothing to gain from a duel. In pvp, you get honor, bg marks, and pvp rewards. PvP in arenas yields arena points and arena gear.

But a duel yeilds nothing at all. There is no character progression associated with this, yet tons of people do it day in and day out.

Why?
#19 - Sept. 5, 2007, 6:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I have never understood the widespread fascination with dueling in this game. Why do so many people stand outside IF, SW, UC, and Org for hours at a time and just duel random people over and over?

This is why I don't understand it: There is nothing to gain from a duel. In pvp, you get honor, bg marks, and pvp rewards. PvP in arenas yields arena points and arena gear.

But a duel yeilds nothing at all. There is no character progression associated with this, yet tons of people do it day in and day out.

Why?

Generally, people duel for the fun of it and sometimes for the sake of learning how other classes tend to fight even if it's in a very limited way. It gives people a means of controlling how many enemies they are facing at once and gives them the opportunity to learn from that encounter.

Believe it or not, there are many people that PvP for the sake of PvP as well with or without rewards.

So what can you gain from a duel? Just some fun and some knowledge. Some people value those things as much as any other experience.
#27 - Sept. 5, 2007, 6:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
This thread will go onto to 10 pages now that a blue posted in it.

No. No. It will only go that long because YOU posted in it. After all, who can resist Strawberry and Banana fusion? Sounds like a great smoothie in the making.
#87 - Sept. 5, 2007, 8:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think the longest duel I ever fought was a full 25 minutes (no pots, no trinkets). I learned a lot from those duels not only about what others were capable of, but on what I needed to improve on as timing, mana management and more.

For those that question whether it's PvP or not, well you are fighting another person after all and at the heart of it, PvP is simply Player vs. Player combat. It also tends to help people who get anxious when entering a fight learn how to calm their nerves so that when they enter into multi-player combat, they feel more in control of themselves and their abilities.

While dueling may not have value for all, it does have value both as a learning tool and as a means of having fun for many others.