Background Downloading Next Patch - Update

#0 - Nov. 23, 2006, 12:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Later today we will begin providing most of the remaining data from our upcoming patch for players to background download. This second phase will be very large (approximately 450MB) as it contains the data for all of the upcoming changes as well as art assets needed in preparation for the release of the expansion.

This data will be delivered at a very slow rate in order to reduce noticeable affects on the performance of your PC. By default, the background downloader will launch after game exit, and will stop upon game re-launch. However, you may wish to take advantage of one of the other background download options.

For more information, read the Background Download FAQ, found here: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=48524887&sid=1

#18 - Nov. 23, 2006, 1:39 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Have you thought of changing the downloader so that it doesnt download the data files into my start menu? I think a better alternative might be to download the data files to the directory WoW is installed in.

Preloading is good. Preloading ~500 MB into my space-starved C Drive is bad.

It sounds like you may be experiencing the issue that we posted about in this thread: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=48697317&sid=1

We will automatically be moving this misplaced data early next week. However, if you can’t wait you may contact Tech Support (Wowtech@Blizzard.com) and they can walk you through the steps necessary to fix the problem.
#27 - Nov. 23, 2006, 3:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Um, im kinda like an uber noob when it comes to forums, in fact this is my first time usein the WoW one i try to avoid them. Anyhow i was just reading shtuff and i was like ok these peoples are talking bout the next patch. So i have a question. Why is it that every time i exit the game (which hardly ever happens chehehehe) I download the same file for the next patch, im like so uber confused, i got like 10 icons on my desk top or the same damn wow file. Like WTF happened to the blizz downloader ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ .... OH YEAH WEWT I MADE THE FIRST PAGE NO WAY?

This is an issue we're currently looking in to. For assistance in closing down the running programs please contact our technical support by clicking on the below link.

http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww01730p
#79 - Nov. 23, 2006, 7:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I realize that, however I was wondering if the 35mb chunk we downloaded last week was actually a randomized chunk of the total 450mb patch.

It would explain how they seeded it so quickly the second time.

It took me 3 days to get the first chunk, however the latest download is already at 25% and has only been running for a few hours.

Wakawaka, we made some adjustments to how the background downloader works in the last few days. The quicker download is a combination of those changes and better luck in finding seeding partners. The background downloader is not at all intended to be a "fast" downloader, however. So, it should always take more time than a standard download.
#80 - Nov. 23, 2006, 7:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Um...dunno if anyone else said asked this yet...but....wut happens if i were not able to download the last one?? will this just mess things up??

Xenpal, the backgound downloader takes this into account. You won't begin to download the second phase of data until you have downloaded the first phase of data. You should be fine.