Sorry Blizz, I have to raise the 'BS' Flag!

#0 - March 10, 2007, 11:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Okay, last week Blizzard claims to have reached 8.5 million subcribers...

Well, after some analysis, I don't quite understand how this claim is even possible. And here are my reasons:

First off, Blizzard has a parent company named Vivendi...and like most corporations, it holds a multitude of subsidiary corporations. Kind of like Taco Bell being owned by Pepsi Co...that sort of thing.

At any rate, as a share holder of Vivendi, I obviously pay close attention to the value of the corporation's stocks. And let me tell you...the value of the stock has been doing nothing but going down since the middle of January. Coincidence? Highly unlikely, considering January was the release of the Burning Crusade. So, why the downward spiral in the corporation's stocks? I'll leave that question open for discussion.

Secondly, I have been closely monitoring the realm status...and it's been quite dissappointing as well. A week before and after the launch of the burning crusade; about 60% of the realms were max/queued. Now, I believe i've only seen ONE server max/queued over the past couple weeks.

Finally, according to Vivendi's fourth quarter financial statements for 2006, they showed a DECREASE in revenues. (I understand Vivendi owns many other corporations that could have accounted for this, but coupled with the other facts...it just doesn't seem likely, but who knows...)

Sorry Blizz, I just can't quite fathom this claim...how can the company reach a milestone of 8.5 million subscribers when the value of the corporation's stock has been decreasing AND the server populations have been dwindling as well?

Could it be some sort of marketing propaganda to get more subscribers as well as publicity? (Any publicity is good publicity) (King David used this tactic: he outright told the people of Israel the phenomenal amount of monetary contribution for the temple...when the people heard the amount of money, people got excited and gave even more money!)
#119 - March 11, 2007, 7:35 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We raised the population cap for all realms with the release of the expansion, as there's more land mass to be filled the population that was considered the maximum to contain a healthy world could be raised. I can assure you we've hit new records in player population and averages for nightly concurrency, but with the higher caps you're not going to see all the warning signs that a ton of realms are bursting at the seams. At least not as much as you may have before.