Please take WoW back to Medieval Fantasy

#0 - March 11, 2008, 10:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I have played WoW since release, through TBC and all,
and by far the most enjoyable time I had were in places like Elwynn Forest, Redridge, Stormwind and Hillsbrad.

You may argue that I'm in love with the "human" zones too much... but I really think there is something very special about these zones... they really appeal as a traditional medieval fantasy setting.

You might also argue that WoW aspires to be original, beyond being the "traditional" fantasy. Well I agree, originality is very important. However, there really is something "comfortable" or "homely" about established medieval fantasy... we are, after all, humans, and the Middle Age setting lets us identify, (emotionally) more closely with the game, IMO. (and I'm not just being a human-racist here... I'm talking about the setting.. all the races will look better in the setting :) )

Ever wondered why pics of most of the Welcome to WoW sections, the guides, the manuals, were shot in Elwynn Forest?
Ever wondered why so many RPers gather in goldshire?

I think the simple answer is that the setting appeals; and aesthetic appeal is very important in this game... adding blood elves solved the Horde:Alliance ratio problem more than anything else, imo :)

Outland was, well, too "outlandish". Yes, yes, I know, that was the whole point of it.... yet I really think it was overdone. Simply put, too much SF. Too much zomg lazers guns aliens pewpew! If Blizz's intention was to draw the hardcore-SF fans into the game, well I think they did it at the "expense" of those of us who got intially involved due to the fantasy. After all, Starcraft = SF ; Warcraft = Fantasy.

Thus my conclusion is, keep the unique WoW-elements that they introduced on top of the more established fantasy. They keep the game special. However, please, don't overdo this "orginality" thing and introduce things completely out of the left field...

Thus, in light of that, I am quite encouraged by screenshots of WotLK, showing that "medieval town" we get to when we arrive, and of course, Dalaran :). Please, Blizzard, when WotLK comes out, bring WoW back to medieval fantasy! (If we want SF, we can always go play Starcraft II, don't randomly try to intermingle it, it simply doesn't work.)
#46 - March 11, 2008, 4:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The environments will speak for themselves as more screenshots and previews of zones are available, so keep an eye out for them. I'm sure though that they will continue to look and feel like the Warcraft universe.
#56 - March 11, 2008, 4:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Take Un'goro, cover it with snow, put it in Northrend and I'll be happy :D

We'll aim to one up that with the new zones we are working on. ;-)
#73 - March 11, 2008, 5:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Will there also be ninja tyrannosaurus rexes there?

Um, so like they steal your loot? Or do they jump out of nowhere to say, "I am the Ninja Rex, you killed my father, prepare to die" ?

Interesting concept...
#79 - March 11, 2008, 5:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

you know i like the new zones designs, but what about the items?
i bet youre gonna keep the bulky oversized cartoonish .... i mean its warcraft look, samwise ftw its k but what about the weapons/armors?

I wouldn't expect the weapons/armor to no longer fit the Warcraft universe.
#102 - March 11, 2008, 5:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I'm guessing you've never actually run around in the middle of Un'goro?

You know how when you're in Hellfire, the Fel Reavers make a lot of noise and shake the ground when they're coming?

The dinosaurs don't do that.

You're just midning your own business and suddenly a dinosaur appears out of thin air, 20 feet away, and then kills you.

I've only run 5 characters through Un'goro, so yeah, I'm lost on this one... or just imagining something I think is funnier. Either way.
#112 - March 11, 2008, 5:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Will wotlk combine devilsaurs and fel reavers into the mighty dragonzord?

With lasers on their head, flame throwers on their arms, and slime-spitters on their legs? The idea has been tossed around...
#140 - March 11, 2008, 7:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

If a hunter tamed it, it would shrink to 2 feet tall, and only be able to learn "Bite" and "Growl"

And in the next patch the devs would decide it was a bug, a replace it with a generic chair model.

It would be an epic chair though.