Whats the point of jewelcrafting an item?

#0 - Sept. 7, 2006, 8:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I dont really understand. It seems just like enchanting right now except that instead of enchanting one stat you will enchant multiple stats which will constitute the base stats of the item.

I understand that green items "of the _animal_" will no longer be needed because you will just have the base item which you will jewelcraft with whichever stats you want but most of the time its the quantity and quality of the stats which makes the item great, a mechanic which will be replaced by quantity of jewel-slots presumably. If now an epic item has lots of stats, in the expansion instead it will have lots of slots.

The benefit i can see is for hybrid classes who until now have been forced into a style of gameplay by their raid gear they have can now "respec" their gear at least a little bit.

Maybe theres something im missing but it really doesnt sound very exciting to me at all. Anyone looking forward to this - if so why?
#2 - Sept. 7, 2006, 8:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Consider the fact that at the early levels, you can create items that conventionally were not acquired until much later levels. Rings boosting stamina or spirit that you can create before even reaching level 20.

There is one reason, at the moment. As you said, making hybrid gear or off-stat gear is also bolstered by this as well.