Please do PVPers a kindness...

#0 - Nov. 28, 2006, 3:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
...and let us know if we should bother grinding for a rank this week.

I haven't been one of those people all along demanding to know the exact date of the patch's release. Heck, I haven't even been demanding to know when the x-pac's release would be, like so many others. For the most part, I recognize that Blizzard's timetable is Blizzard's and I generally believe that it leads to a quality product.

This is one instance where I have to change my mind, though. I've only fairly recently come back to the game. This is my first Alliance 60 (though it has yet to update) and I, like many other PVPers, have been hoping to reach a specific rank before it was all over. For me, it's rank 8 (rank 10 is too much of a pipe dream) though I'd even accept getting to Knighthood, if only to have the title post-patch.

All I ask is that you guys let us know when the patch will be out a week in advance. I know you never give firm dates for patches, but given the effect that this patch will have on PVP, it's just a decent thing to do. Anyone who really PVPs in this game is clearly a die hard fan and a Blizzard loyalist. The patch will be doing away with a good amount of the work that people have been doing, and surprisingly few people are really that up-in-arms about this fact, so it would really just be decent of you guys to let us know a week in advance that, hey, that was your last chance. Your final bow. Congrats on getting the rank you got, there's no more of that.

Just let us furious grinders, hoping for that last HK that will take us over the top, know when we should finally take our week of rest. You guys know that once that patch goes live, we'll be back to PVPing like mad anyway, working our way up the new system. So, please, give us the warning necessary to take a few days to remember what our families look like and, you know, get some fresh air.

*Edited the title- Nethaera
#12 - Nov. 28, 2006, 4:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As much as I'd love to give a heads up, we just can't at this time. There are too many variables at work right now to give a definitive answer on when the patch will be. Even when we have an internal date, those dates can and do change as necessary.

My best advice would be to do what you want to get done because it's a goal of yours and not because there's some giant looming deadline over your head. Let us worry about deadlines. If for some crazy reason we're able to give a heads-up, we will try. Otherwise, our hands are tied.

I know people say, "Tell us anyway it's ok," we run into a problem still. If we give a date and it doesn't happen, then those that 'gave up' attaining their goals because they didn't have time would blame us for giving the wrong date. If it happens sooner than expected, we'd be in the hotseat for giving 'false hope' as well.

This isn't a lack of wanting to keep people informed as much as possible but an inability at this time to do so in a way that is the most beneficial for everyone involved. I know some will disagree with my statement ,but that's the heart of it right there from our standpoint.

*Edited slightly to reflect that we can't give you a specific date 'at this time'. Please note that we will have more information "soon".
#19 - Nov. 28, 2006, 4:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Since you posted immediately after me, I just want to say it again: Please look into a "No-Sooner-Than" announcement.

And then if for some reason it IS sooner by some chance of fate and all the stars in the heavens lining up perfectly? What do we tell people that thought they'd have more time because we said they did?
#35 - Nov. 28, 2006, 4:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Then set a firm date on the cut off of honor and BG rep. What you are doing is utterly unfair and in a lot of ways dishonest. Completely pulling the rug out from under people without a definitive date for when that will happen is just piss poor design and customer service.

You may feel it's unfair but define what 'fair' is when discussing a date that may or may not be solid? It would be more dishonest to give a date that we don't feel is solid and dependable. If you notice we don't tend to like doing that sort of thing.

We are not pulling the rug out from anyone. This change to the honor system is something that people have been well aware of for a while now. There is nothing that is being done in an underhanded way. We've said what is changing, we've told people that it would be changing, we've given a date of when the Burning Crusade is going to release and said the patch that would change things would occur before that release. People can even go on to the Public Test Realm and test those very changes to see how it will affect them. It's all very public and information about the changes and isn't hard to find.

I realize there are frustrations being felt but what you may see as "piss poor design and customer service," others may well see as us trying our best to be as clear and upfront as we possibly can without making promises we're not going to be able to keep when it comes to giving specific dates on these things.

That's really all I can say on this without rehashing the same arguments over and over. We will continue to do what we can to keep people informed. For some that will never be enough but we'll keep trying.
#97 - Nov. 28, 2006, 5:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Neth:

But most of your meetings related to patching are going to be at the end of the week, right?

So can you honestly say on any given Friday you have no clue if you'll be patching or not the following Tuesday?

I really can't see why Blizzard canNOT for this one patch make the determination each Friday for Go/No Go. Make the determination and stick to it ... for this patch knowing how big of an impact it has on everyone who PvPs.

We do have a clue, and the best I can say right now is "soon" as much as you all hate that word. We will have more information "soon" as well as to what players can expect and when. We are busy coordinating some things and doing what we can on our end to give what we can to you all. As of this moment this morning, I can't tell you much more than I have. I know you all hate when I say to be patient as well but it really will just take a little more patience.