Scratch hero classes, make them normal.

#0 - Sept. 14, 2007, 8:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
OK,i'm not one for idle chat in forums, so let me get down to buisiness: I don't like the idea of Hero classes, no class should start at lvl 60, no matter if you have do do a quest chain to get it. I feel Death Knights should start at lvl 1 like alll other classes because:

-Everyone will roll death knight alts because they startat lvl 60, so they have less work to do.
-It forces you to master a class in high-level areas where you need to know your class to suceed, and most new Death knights won't know how to play their class at all.
-You will get less hours out of your death knight alt.
-New players will have to wait months to try a class they may have wanted from the beginning.
-Other classes will fall out of favor for alts, because they start at lvl 1, wheras Death Knights start at 60.
-The massive flood of Death Knights will clog battlegrounds, making matches extremely uneven (No class variety, so less heals, druid bufs, etc.)
-The lack of levels to obtain takes away what makes WoW so fun: Leveling up and gaining new abilities.

Fell free to correct me if you think my judgement is flawed, but this is how i feel Hero classes will change WoW, and i smell something foul approaching.
#44 - Sept. 14, 2007, 8:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
-Everyone will roll death knight alts because they startat lvl 60, so they have less work to do.

We do hope a lot of people try out the class, it should be a lot of fun. But we also know that people have their preferred style of play so we don't expect everybody to drop their current character(s) and play the Death Knight exclusively.

Q u o t e:
-It forces you to master a class in high-level areas where you need to know your class to suceed, and most new Death knights won't know how to play their class at all.

Just leveling up to reach Northrend will take time and should provide players some great experience in learning the new class.

Q u o t e:
-You will get less hours out of your death knight alt.

I'm a little confused here, but are you saying that it's a problem that you can't spend more hours at lower levels?

Q u o t e:
-Other classes will fall out of favor for alts, because they start at lvl 1, wheras Death Knights start at 60.

I'm not sure that other classes falling out of favor as alts is really a big deal, but I wanted to clarify that the starting level of the Death Knight has not been finalized, but they will start at a higher level as a level 1 Death Knight doesn't sound quite right.

Q u o t e:
-The massive flood of Death Knights will clog battlegrounds, making matches extremely uneven (No class variety, so less heals, druid bufs, etc.)

While a lot of people may make Death Knight alts to try out the class, especially near the launch of Wrath of the Lich King, not everybody is going to level them to 80 or switch them to their main character. Also, both factions will be interested in playing the Death Knight, so any lack of heals will probably go both ways.

Q u o t e:
-The lack of levels to obtain takes away what makes WoW so fun: Leveling up and gaining new abilities.

They will still need to level through Outland and Northrend which can take a fair amount of time.

Q u o t e:
-New players will have to wait months to try a class they may have wanted from the beginning.

We have not finalized way that the Death Knight will be unlocked yet, if that is what you are referring to.

We have wanted to make Hero Classes for a long time and we feel the Death Knight will be a fun one to start with while adding a great new element to the game for players to enjoy fighting with... and against.
#75 - Sept. 14, 2007, 9:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
But see this is where you are wrong. The death knight is NOT a hero class. Its just a new class that starts at 60. Why do you guys continue to feed this nonsense to people.

Because we talked about them way back at the launch of the game, a lot of people had or still have a built up idea of what a "hero class" is or should be. But until the Death Knight, they didn't exist, so there was no definition of a Hero Class.

We don't want a Hero Class to be stronger than the other classes and we don't want to restrict it so only a few of our players can create them. One of the design philosophies that we follow is that we keep our entire playerbase in mind when making things to maximize the fun for everybody, not just a select few.

And besides, we know that being able to play a Death Knight sounds pretty awesome. :)