People who say 'Ding'

#0 - Nov. 8, 2006, 4:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I was wondering why some people insist to say "ding" every time their character gains a level. Now if I'm grouped with someone and I see them level, it seems appropriate to congradulate them since I've been working with them, and was right there when it happened.

But what annoys me is when guildies have to let everyone in the guild know that they leveled...Now if someone hits 60 then yeah I think everyone should know because that's a huge thing... But "ding, lvl 9"... um.. gratz?

And by far, the most annoying thing to me is when random people spam their "dings" over the general chat. That really pisses me off, because really, who gives a darn?

I understand that saying "ding" has been passed down from previous MMORPG's. But really, do people crave that much attention that they have to let the whole world know every time they level. I'm sorry but the fact that you leveled is nothing special, it's happening to everyone.

Any thoughts? Agree/Disagree?

*Edited one word choice. Please don't avoid the filter.- Nethaera
#76 - Nov. 8, 2006, 4:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Ding is a tradition it's true and at the same time I can sympathize with your position.

First I'd like to say that I think the WoW sound is more like a clashing of a gong and less like a ding but people cling to the ding because it seems to look better than "Gong!" and it's what they are used to.

Second off I'll say that despite your annoyance at people saying "Ding" when they level, I think it's the communities' way of sharing their successes with each other and you only "ding" once a level anyway unless you have short-term memory problems and keep saying "ding" because you forgot you already said it. (It could happen you know.)

I don't usually say it and even don't notice I've leveled sometimes until someone says "Congrats!" ;) I got over the whole "Ding" excitement years ago but I don't disparage anyone that is still into the "ding".

So I say to you, let go and let "Ding"! Special is whatever people make it and just because it's not a unique experience doesn't make it less special. We celebrate births and birthdays all the time. Does the fact that everyone has a birthday anniversary every year make it less special? I say no! Bring on the birthday cakes. "Ding!"

*And to the person that said all characters are really guys playing until otherwise proven, please stop that perpetuation of a bad idea. It's insulting to us females that do play and have played since the start of gaming. Please, I'm asking nicely.
#91 - Nov. 8, 2006, 4:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

In EQ it was very possible to "ding" multiple times a level, as you lost exp (and levels if you were just into one) when you died.

I remember saying to my guild "ding, 47. FOR THE THIRD TIME!"

That was a 'Re-ding' though and not a real ding. ;p

(Yes, I never said there weren't females playing male characters too. I'm just saying for people to stop asking for proof. We all know it has nothing to do with whether or not we are really female and more to do with you wanting 'proof' for your own benefit.)

*Preemptive thought- To those that might say "Why is she posting in this nonsense thread! Go program something!" I'm enjoying this thread and people aren't asking for me to be melted down into sealing wax yet. ;)
#125 - Nov. 8, 2006, 5:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Please allow me to introduce you to a wonderful tool of the English language. It's known as the "comma".

It fell off in the rush and excitement of the topic of "Ding!" I'll have to dig under my desk for them again. Next time I work on a larger run-on sentence. :)