Why is esport and arena the focus of the game

#0 - May 5, 2008, 5 p.m.
Blizzard Post
pvp in the battlegrounds, arena and the new esport focus have because a focus of the development of the game. it has log been said that you wouldnt develop a second rule set world but that is what the ternament realm is. almost every player you talk to would agree that balance in the game is so bad that it is a joke. and yea we keep watching as blizzard does nothing to address these issues (problems are getting worst and not better). pve is getting messed up due to blizzard trying to do anything in pvp. and players are leaving the game for the lack of solid content. why is blizzard making these chooses to put so much effort in to the pvp content?
#7 - May 5, 2008, 5:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
If PvP was the focus of the game, why has a new island with new dungeons, new daily quests, and a server-wide event been added to the game recently?
#25 - May 5, 2008, 5:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

That island is the main source of world PvP at the moment ^_^

I hope the PvP realms are enjoying it.
#68 - May 5, 2008, 5:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Bornakk with all due respect, you know that was inferred to by the question.

Players are concerned about the esport because its contrary to what an MMO should be about.

World of Warcraft simply has many things happening in it. Just because we are running the 2008 WoW Arena Tournament doesn't mean everything else has stopped or been derailed because I can guarantee you, this isn't the case. All changes can easily be seen from just one personal perspective which causes confusion but we do take the whole game into consideration when making changes to it.

I understand your concern on the subject, when we have more details to share on the new zones, dungeons, and abilities that are part of the upcoming expansion, (and I'm assuming are what an MMO should be about) we'll let you know.
#99 - May 5, 2008, 5:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Thanks for the response. It's not just the future of the expansion (obviously we know you're always working on more PvE stuff). But it's the willingness to let the "esport" drive the game... i.e. with class balance, etc. Think of the abilities that could be offered to player characters IF those characters weren't also expected to face other player characters in an "arena" format... quite frankly the game is being watered down by the existence of arenas. Really can't do anything groundbreaking anymore because of a delicate arena balance.

We take both PvE and PvP into account when making class changes. It kind of sounds like these groundbreaking ideas would be a problem for PvE as well.

Q u o t e:

Hey Bornakk.. I'm pretty sure Chilton said he wants to focus the game into an esport.

Misinterpretations are easily misinterpreted.