The "match making" system

#0 - Oct. 2, 2006, 12:29 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I've been reading a lot of posts about this, In the burning crusade they will put people in Battlegrounds that are equally geared. While at first this seems like a good idea, if you think about it, what's the incentive of getting better gear if you only fighting people with the same things as you? I would never need to get new gear again if this was the case, all BGs will now be cookie cutter and boring. My character is not uber geared or anything, but I don't understand the point of getting better gear if they set up this new matching system. Better gear to win duels? World PvP?
#1 - Oct. 2, 2006, 12:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
There is some amount of give in either direction, the matching system is probably not going to find an exact match every time and as it widens its search field you may be paired with others weaker or stronger than yourself.

However, if you simply enjoy battlegrounds for the PvP and aren't looking to actually progress your character then you're right, you might as well not buy any rewards. Have fun PvPing!

If you're like most of us and want to see new shiny things then you're probably going to be spending your honor points, or going out and questing, running instances, and playing in the arena. The matching system is to take away some amount of the importance gear and organization would play in a battleground game, but it's not going to be exact.
#60 - Oct. 2, 2006, 1:57 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
A matching system based upon gear is moronic. It should be based upon your past win/loss record.

Sure, you could throw a bunch of games early on just to slaughter your opponents later, but that would ultimately push you back up in the ranks anyway.

Most "match" sports (i.e. tennis) already work this way. Gear doesn't matter. If you have epics, you'll win more than you'll lose and you'll move up in ranks quickly to other matched opponents.

The new honor system doesn't have any ranks. You will accumulate honor points, those points can be spent on rewards.
#76 - Oct. 2, 2006, 2:22 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
While you're here, Drysc--any idea if level brackets (10-19, etc.) will coexist with the matching system?

That's the current plan. If the matching system was the only thing working to keep players matched up to any degree you could be level 60, put on some level 19 gear and run over everyone. The brackets are currently planned to remain intact.
#78 - Oct. 2, 2006, 2:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Drysc since ranks are being removed can players now expect to be able to use multiple names? I believe the reason for not allowing this int he first place was because ranks were to take place of this option.

Do you mean surnames? If so, it's something we would like to do in the future but it's not currently in development.
#89 - Oct. 2, 2006, 2:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Two questions for CMs:

1) Will there ever be a ladder system for the instanced Battlegrounds, perhaps similar to the Arena system?

2) Will the Battlegrounds ever be cross-faction in addition to cross-server?
World PvP is not matched around either gear, organization, or number. <3

1. It's not currently planned. The arenas are set up as the place to rank yourself against other players and flex your PvP ability.

2. Again, not currently planned, although the arenas will allow from inter-faction PvP battles.