Armor penetration...Is it an issue?

#0 - Sept. 30, 2007, 2:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So, i've been looking at the new gear thats supposed to be coming out for 2.3, and I see that much of it has a stat that allows peoples attacks to bypass a set amount of their opponents' armor. I've heard people say that this will have an adverse effect on casters, and I've heard people say that this will effect all classes equally.

So, I'm wondering; has anyone actually crunched the numbers, or worked out just what an impact this will have on the game? As a clothie who's an avid pvper, I'd really like to know.
#6 - Sept. 30, 2007, 2:43 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So, i've been looking at the new gear thats supposed to be coming out for 2.3, and I see that much of it has a stat that allows peoples attacks to bypass a set amount of their opponents' armor. I've heard people say that this will have an adverse effect on casters, and I've heard people say that this will effect all classes equally.

So, I'm wondering; has anyone actually crunched the numbers, or worked out just what an impact this will have on the game? As a clothie who's an avid pvper, I'd really like to know.

There's more +armor on the pvp gear than there is +armor penetration on the melee pvp gear.
#12 - Sept. 30, 2007, 2:48 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Err.. so you're saying that the season 3 armor sets will have additional armor to compensate, making penetration a moot issue so long as players are even in gear?

The priest and warlock season 2 armor sets already have +910 bonus armor on them. As of season 3, the mage set will also have the +910 armor (all the armor pen on season 3 melee gear adds up to less than 910).
#17 - Sept. 30, 2007, 2:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
You mean... 910 whole armor out of the stat budget on armor? Or just basic 910 armor? Thats pretty ridiculous if its out of the budget...

You realize that armor pen comes out of the stat budget right?
#28 - Sept. 30, 2007, 2:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Mind boggling.

So casters get 910 extra armor while melee gets slightly less than 910 armor penetration.

Why not simply give caster 100 armor and be done?

Because there is raid gear with armor pen. We have to account for the possibility that players will use it in pvp.