Being a healer is not "manly"

#0 - May 12, 2008, 6:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Ive played dps classes for a long time now and I felt it was time to try out healing so I could say ive played all aspects of this game.

There is a different feeling associated with healing than there is with trying to kill your enemies. Its hard to explain but when I was our nuking or ganking people I felt like I was just out to see big numbers and feel better about myself being about to destroy someone.

So here I am on my 70 druid in about 4 pieces of season 1 gear a little over 1060 healing and dropping heals like a madman. I keep the warriors and rogues alive, the occasional hunter (don’t ask me why im just a nice guy) and anyone else I see running from the fight about to die.

Now here comes there problem. When im healing although I feel like im contributing more to the “team” side of wow, I cant help but think this isn’t a “manly” role. Maybe it’s the preconceived notion that women are better healers but I couldn’t help but feel that this is not and never will be a “manly” side of the game. Healing is a big challenge and I do have a new found respect for them since its not mindless button mashing trying to kill everyone around you. I do plan to keep healing but I still wonder does anyone think that women are better healers than men?
#25 - May 12, 2008, 6:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I hear that many doctors are men these days. Imagine that!

I think you're focusing too much on what people perceive you as based on your class choice rather than what they perceive you as in regard to your skill as a player.

Just enjoy what you play.
#33 - May 12, 2008, 6:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I do enjoy it. I just have the notion that women are the more caring and nurturing types. Thats why most nurses are women and yes there are men doctors but they're just in it for the money :)

Stereotypes are meant to be broken out of. Caring and nurturing people exist no matter what gender.

Besides, priests can kill too and not all of them are the touchy feely sort.