A little piece of me dies..

#0 - Jan. 18, 2007, 3:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Everytime I replace a hard earn epic with a outland green quest reward. It sort makes me sad all the good times I had earning that gear simply replaced. Oh well out with the old in with the new.
#21 - Jan. 18, 2007, 4:39 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I've upgrade four epic items thus far. Two of them with rares (blue), and two of them with uncommons (green), and I felt nothing but excitement.
#160 - Jan. 18, 2007, 4:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I am a packrat. My bags and bank are fairly full. I have swapped out even some purples already (low end) and am rather attached to them but the numbers don't lie. I've actually been enjoying swapping in and out different items to see what they can do for me and I've been enjoying the results of it. Socketing has added another element to this as well.

Oh sure, I'll cling to the items I've replaced with a certain amount of fondness but in the end, I'll have to let them go at some point. For one, memories live in your head and while we often attach them to objects they will live on even if those objects go away. For another, it would seem odd to me that an item I got at 58, 59 or 60 wouldn't eventually be replaced by something I got at a higher level. Where would be the progression if they weren't replaced?

I've seen people talk about the colors of the items as a main factor for holding on to them but color = rarity and while it seems difficult to let go of the idea that a certain color = better, we all know that there are 'purples' you didn't swap out your blue for at one point or another because that purple wasn't as good as the blue you had. It comes down to the stats on the items and what you want to get out of your build that matter the most, not the color. While it's understandable that people would like to place value in the item based on the time it took them to get it, I think the most important value is what you get out of it. If you're spending time with friends or meeting new people as you get them, then what's the difference if it took only an hour to get something you can use?

Enjoy the progression and look forward to what new places, adventures and people you will meet as you get new goodies.
#233 - Jan. 18, 2007, 10:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

And the rest of his job is having to force feed the community whatever the latest line of PR doublespeak happens to be.

Hey, I feel for the Community Managers; I've worked in PR and it sucks. Your job is to sell out your own integrity and put a shine on even the nastiest piece of poop your company puts out.

But expressing an opinion, when your job requires you to have that opinion, is asking for mockery in a forum like this. We all know perfectly well that with 8 million boxes of TBC needing to be moved, no Blizzard employee can afford to be overheard questioning any design decision.

I hate to be contrarian but I believe your experience of PR and ours differ a bit. :) I'm not selling anything. When you see us posting our thoughts and ideas, they are sincere in nature. It's no crime to be honestly excited about something you work on and are a fan of both.