How much does WoW download as you play?

#0 - Feb. 16, 2007, 9:10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm moving to University in a week, and while they have megafast internet they have a retarded 500mb/month download cap. I'm already annoyed because I won't be able to YouTube or Torrent, but I would NEVER want to lose my WoW.

So how much, on average, does WoW download as you play....per hour? I'm hoping it's not too high, like maybe 2mb/hour,. I'd be heartbroken if I was unable to play WoW because of this limit...:(

Off-topic: Does anyone know any ways to get around this stupid download limit put in place by the University? Backdoors or anything?

Thanks!
#8 - Feb. 16, 2007, 9:29 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
500 MB/month? That seems absurdly small...

As for your answer, WoW isn't too bad. I'm pulling down about .5 KB/sec now, although in heavily populated areas it is probably several times that.

Also, is this 500 MB/month limit across your entire connection, including normal http access? I've tunneled WoW through a SOCKS tunnel in the past (although, that SOCKS tunnel was actually through a ssh tunnel!)

Well .5 KB/sec is ~1.75MB/hour. So you have about 285 hours at that rate, which figures into about 9.5 hours of World of Warcraft allowed per day. Really though the amount pulled down fluctuates greatly depending on what you're doing. If you're strictly playing the game I doubt you could hit your limit without really trying but I would personally probably rely on an application to track a normal day of use which you could then track and figure out what your normal use is. It's going to fluctuate person to person and day to day.
#14 - Feb. 16, 2007, 9:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
'sup Drysc?

Hmm, 0.5kb/s doesn't sound bad. Considering I'm at Uni and will actually be studying *shudder* a lot of the time, that gives me more than enough WoW time. Getting patches could be problematic though....

Not much.

Good point about patches and I can't say there's really an easy solution there. They could certainly eat into your limit if it's a larger one. Maybe find a friend with a working burner and a connection that isn't download limit restricted. If anyone else has suggestions I'm sure they would be appreciated.