Why do people RP?

#0 - June 22, 2008, 10:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I don't really get it. What is it that makes people want to make up a fictional persona in an imaginary world?

I remember seeing some stuff for a movie called "Darkon" which is basically a documentary on LARP'ers. Most of them said they wanted to escape their mundane, normal lives and act out a fictional one in which they could be heroes.

But seriously, why do so many people succumb to flights of fancy like this? Why are they so weak that they can't face real life, except that it may be boring at times, and move on?

I don't know, I find it hard to understand why a grown man would still like to play make-believe when there are so many problems in the real world that need remedying.
#143 - June 23, 2008, 4:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I don't really get it. What is it that makes people want to make up a fictional persona in an imaginary world?

I remember seeing some stuff for a movie called "Darkon" which is basically a documentary on LARP'ers. Most of them said they wanted to escape their mundane, normal lives and act out a fictional one in which they could be heroes.

But seriously, why do so many people succumb to flights of fancy like this? Why are they so weak that they can't face real life, except that it may be boring at times, and move on?

I don't know, I find it hard to understand why a grown man would still like to play make-believe when there are so many problems in the real world that need remedying.

Why do actors play roles in movies and plays? It's a fun creative process that allows you to imagine "what if".

I'm closing this thread though since it seems your intent wasn't to learn about RP, but to instead insult people.