So, Linux users *were* unfairly banned. GG

#0 - Nov. 22, 2006, 9:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So, apparently innocent until proven guilty in this game fails again. Some of the linux users were unfairly banned. Good job blizzard.

I hate this "Might as well ban everyone, if they feel they need to get back in the game, they can petition." Mentality.

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2006/nov/22/blizzard_unbans_linux_world_of_warcraft_players

more info here.
#12 - Nov. 22, 2006, 9:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
You can always go back to the thread I commented in for reference to our stance.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • We admitted the possibility of error and we were prepared to correct errors in a short span of time.
  • The issue of false positives were related to a single build of Cedega, so this affected only a subset of Cedega users.
  • The users that were suspended incorrectly comprised less than one percent of all of the accounts that were actioned.
  • Again, I already admitted to and forewarned of such events.

Even down to the point of how the follow-up would be made. It was clearly discussed in that thread that the people negatively affected would be replied to and handled individually, as would merit a customer service interaction. These players have been contacted, apologized to and compensated not only for lost time, but for extra time because of this error.

Here is the thread for reference. You can see all of my comments which portray this issue openly and rather accurately to the course of events.

It is a big read, but it would be useful so that folks do not make sweeping generalizations about this topic.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=47009071&postId=472457442&sid=1#40
#21 - Nov. 22, 2006, 9:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
edit: First, thanks for the response teseric. this thread is less of a "we DEMAND compensation!!" more of a "perhaps you should consider doing things differently next time" thread.

I know what it is. My issue lies with the fact that you call this process 'despicable', yet you fail to grasp the efficiency and accuracy with which this was done.

You're taking a moral high ground and idealism, but you have no practical plan on how to achieve such things.

This whole endeavor was carried out with over 99.5% accuracy rating. We said upfront there was the possibility of error, as there is with any complex system of this nature along with the fact that we were prepared to deal with wrongful accusation in a short span of time.

You are asking that we be flawless in execution, which isn't going to happen.
#27 - Nov. 22, 2006, 9:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I'm sorry, not but.true. Multiple times when the bans were first handed out there were blue posts stating that there is no way that the warden would pick up cedega as a 3rd party program. Linux users reporting it were pretty much turned away here on the forums until a large enough group + Transgamming contacted you.

I provided links. Where are yours? What do you think was going to happen if tens of thousands of players are suspended and then travel to these forums for whatever purpose? You think that the one unfairly suspended player is going to be the champion of the cause or the hundreds of players who had their accounts justly suspended?

Of course posts are going to get deleted, because it's a zerg rush at that point.

Also, what span of time are we talking here. Hours? I was commenting on this issue probably 8 hours after the initial suspensions went out. They started them early in the morning and later I came in and posted about this topic first.

How long was it that folks were 'totally in the dark' about this?
#37 - Nov. 22, 2006, 10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
99.5% accuracy. That's the last point I'll make again on this. And even that is a rough number. The actual percentage is greater.

If players are honestly asking for more certainty, I'm going to say right now that you are living a pipe dream.

If we truly needed more accuracy according to your demands, we would never be able to act on anything. You enter a state of paralysis. It is not realistic. Stop using moral indignation as an excuse for making unreasonable requests or demands.

edit - clarity added
#43 - Nov. 22, 2006, 10:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

As most bot-reporters out there know, it takes Blizzard months to complete an investigation on a reported bot before they ban the account, you can see them for quite some time before their accounts are closed. If Blizzard acted with the impulse you did when starting this thread half the accounts in WoW would have been banned, it is very wise to stop and think before posting something that reads "Ha, in your face Blizzard, Linux users were innocent".

Yes. Very much so. Thank you for this particular comment. I think it provides some perspective and is part of the reason this strikes me as absurd.

"Blizzard, you do nothing about botters!"

"Blizzard, you did something about botters and I object!"

No win situation.
#44 - Nov. 22, 2006, 10:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Who are you kidding?

Warden is far from complex.

I was referring to more than simply the security mechanism.
#135 - Nov. 22, 2006, 11:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Jartrie, I am trying to educate players on the realities of certain situations. If you want to take my comments as meaning that we aren't interested in improving the process by which we do that, I'm not sure what I can say aside from the fact that this service has been improving regularly over the life of this game.

Our processes have become more refined. It is possible and probable they continue to improve, as the technology we are working against improves as well.

This game of cat and mouse always evolves.

However, to the particular point, do you think your one point is the most important or central point to this thread?

What is more important to you? That we really improve the processes or that you prove me wrong on a message board?

How about this?

-I should retract that statement, as it does not portray the matter accurately in my estimation. I apologize for the confusion.-

Are you then going to maintain your stance that we are in the wrong? Does this whole issue pivot on this one point?