"Critical Rating" ? ... Needlessly complex?

#0 - Nov. 4, 2006, 5:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Our current WoW stats aren't straight forward to understand...

I mean one Stamina equals ## health? One Int equals ## mana? etc

But one of our simplest stats is crit% ... If you have a 50% crit' chance you know that 50% of your spells should critically strike the enemy... Easy ... Simple... But now bliz' has introduced this "Critical Rating" in BC with insane numbers like 14, and 32 .... Why? ... Was crit% too simple and you wanted to exclude more?

Why should 90% of the WoW population be unable to understand the exact consequence of stats on their armor? Why not have +health/mana instead of +int/stam and +crit% instead of +crit rating? Why must WoW be needlessly complex...

It isn't just us this is hurting... I bet its hard to implement this stuff when you have no idea how exactly these stats should be scaled etc... And I don't see any manual explaning all the WoW stats...

#7 - Nov. 4, 2006, 6:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As many have pointed out in this thread, the scalability of the system is what will keep it going in the future. It allows more room to move in a design sense. Fact is, the old system did have a potential ceiling and could not be expanded on after that point.

By injecting different variables into the system, individual levels of character power can be gauged and adjusted, much like how the basic stat system has always worked. A certain quantity of Intellect at level 59 will not have the same value at level 60 because the value of Int effectively goes down as you level. This is compensated by gaining more Int through gear, in addition to the base increase offered.