InstallWoW.exe failed to create install files

#0 - Nov. 14, 2008, 6:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Here's the deal - I can't get WotLK DVD due to no stores near my home having them for sale. So I got a friend of mine overseas to buy the expansion and give me the installation key.

So next thing I did was log onto my user account control panel in the main site and downloaded InstallWoW.exe and selected WotLK to be downloaded.

The installer works fine in the beginning but it reaches a stage (completely random for different tries) where it stops giving an error:

"Failed to create install files. Please close all applications and try again".

I have gone through a lot of threads and tried the following offered solutions:

1. Deleted all temporary files
2. Tried it in safe mode.
3. Tried closing all unwanted applications.
4. Tried moving my WoW folder to "Public" and placing InstallWoW.exe inside my WoW folder.
5. Tried all of the above together.

I have tried the downloader like 20 times so far, but all I get is this same error again and again at different stages. Any definitive solution for this? PLEASE help.

Oh - and I am using Windows Vista
#1 - Nov. 14, 2008, 6:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi Invigor,

The downloader shouldn't be able to fail when writing files in Vista. All of it goes to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft Installer, which any user can access. Can you get us a screenshot of that error happening?
#13 - Dec. 18, 2008, 7:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Please do not bump old threads.

If you are unable to complete the installation due to not having enough free disk space on your Windows drive or may not have permission in a particular folder, we now offer a modified download client that may help to resolve this. You can find the file here:
http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/WoW/other/wowalternate.zip

This file and the downloader contained within will download and install the full World of Warcraft and Wrath of the Lich King game files. Please note that you will not need to have Wrath of the Lich king enabled for your account, any account will be able to play using this download.

1. Save the wowalternate.zip file on a hard drive with sufficient space.
2. Extract the three files inside by Right-clicking wowalternate.zip file, then selecting Extract All.
3. Open the folder and make sure you have these three files: Installer.exe, Installer.mfil and ProductDefs.xml
3. Run Installer.exe file. It is important to note that the downloader will NOT start up right away. It will be running in the background while it downloads a few necessary files before it starts up. Give it a few minutes and you will be greeted by the Wrath installation screen.
4. During the installation process, you will get a window asking you to insert the Wrath of the Lich King disc. Hit cancel.
5. A DirectX error dialog box will appear. Click the Install button to bypass this.
6. The game should start installing.